- NHS plans to manufacture medicinal cannabis oil for children with severe epilepsy.
- FDA launches widespread CBD testing plan to tackle product inconsistencies.
- Europe’s largest independent cannabis firm set to publicly trade on the NASDAQ.
- Canadian legal cannabis sales reach new records in May as black market sales fall.
- Argentina to legalise personal cultivation and pharmacy sales of medical cannabis.
- CBD contract manufacturer, backed by former Diageo Global CMO, launches in the UK.
- EIHA blasts European Commission for considering labelling CBD ‘a narcotic’.
- Denmark authorises Epidyolex for Lennox-Gastaut and Dravet syndromes.
- Aurora makes cuts to European workforce as part of downsizing measures.
- Germany’s AMP orders 150kg of medical cannabis from unnamed Canadian supplier.
According to StatsCan, Canadian retailers sold a record CAD$185.9 million worth of cannabis in May 2020.
A total of CAD$850 million worth of cannabis has now been sold in licensed dispensaries in the first 5 months of 2020, which means that, according to current projections, total sales are set to surpass the CAD$2 billion in 2020.
- The Democratic National Committee releases draft plan to decriminalise cannabis.
- The FDA submits a draft CBD enforcement guidance to the White House for review.
- LeafLink raises US$250 million in debt financing to help fund the cannabis supply chain.
- Curaleaf completes acquisition of Grassroots, for an estimated US$700 million.
- Montana cannabis legalisation campaigners collect required signatures for 2020 ballot.
- Arkansas medical cannabis sales surpass US$100 million since 2019 launch.
Latam & Caribbean
- Uruguay records 3 tonnes of medical sales 3 years after cannabis legalisation.
- Argentinian municipality of Castelli creates joint venture to produce medical cannabis.
- Ikänik Farms exports pharmaceutical grade cannabis to Mexico for COVID-19 research.
- Khiron receives licences for the import and commercialisation of CBD products in Peru.
- Cann Group announces capital raising of AU$24.3 million to boost short-term growth.
- Little Green Pharma obtains production permit for Western Australia cultivation facility.
- Thonburi Healthcare launches joint venture for medical cannabis research in Thailand.
- MGC Pharma signs agreement to acquire Australia’s Medical Cannabis Clinic.
Health & Science
- New evidence suggests that CBD may help treat lung inflammation caused by COVID-19.
- Lab tests show that CBD-enriched forms of cannabis can kill or inhibit cancer cells.
- Meta-study suggests CBD has therapeutic potential in treating cocaine dependence.
- Study suggests cannabis has potential to treat pain associated with sickle cell disease.
The Disrupting Drinks Report
Prohibition Partners finds that the overall majority of cannabis/CBD/hemp-infused drinks consumers are men. However, in emerging markets where THC-infused products are not available & the market focus is on health and wellbeing, women are more likely to dominate the consumer space.
Learn more about consumer behaviour and purchase profiles surrounding cannabis-based beverages in the latest industry report from Prohibition Partners.
Read the stories that shape the cannabis industry
Australia records record monthly medical cannabis patient growth in July. Online sentiment predominantly positive ahead...
Germany imports 4,126 kg of medical cannabis during the first half of 2020, US cannabis employment...
Overcapacity continues to loom over Canadian market despite players slashing costs. Medical cannabis prescriptions grow...