International Cannabis Weekly: 177
THE MORE ACT PASSES THROUGH US HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
The MORE Act, which would decriminalise cannabis federally, passed through the democrat-led House of Representatives last week, with 228 votes for the motion, 164 against & 39 abstaining.
The bill will now face a vote in the Senate before being presented to the President for ratification.
- US House of Representatives passes medical cannabis bill following MORE Act approval.
- The Netherlands selects 10 cultivators for legal cannabis experiment.
- UK experts and lawmakers eye cannabis legalisation amid COVID-19 crisis.
- North Macedonian cannabis advocates urge parliament to amend cannabis classification.
- Clever Leaves successfully delivers EU-GMP cannabis-based pharmaceuticals to Germany.
- LYPHE Group partners with Drug Science to provide medical cannabis to Project Twenty21.
- Switzerland’s National Council votes to ease access for medical cannabis.
- Slovakian government approves amendment to remove CBD from drug list.
- Maltese cannabis advocates call for full decriminalisation of cannabis cultivation by 2021.
COVID-19 AND CANNABIS
LINKS BETWEEN COVID-19 AND CANNABINOID DRUG DEVELOPMENT EXPLORED
During Prohibition Partners LIVE, Industry Analyst & Consultant for Prohibition Partners Conor O’Brien, delivered a presentation on the research being carried out on cannabinoids and their impact on treating COVID-19.
The full presentation is available to view, here.
- New report suggests federal legalisation would generate US$13.7 billion in tax revenue.
- Medical cannabis sales in Maine reach US$221.8 million from January to October 2020.
- New Jersey lawmakers agree on adult-use cannabis legalisation bill.
- Detroit plans to issue adult-use cannabis licences in summer 2021.
- The Justice Department and the Department of Health examine rescheduling of cannabis.
- New poll finds two thirds of voters support House vote to decriminalise cannabis.
- Weedmaps plans to list on the NASDAQ through merger with Silver Spike.
- Nebraska lawmakers commence drafting cannabis legalisation initiative for 2022 ballot.
- New poll finds 54 per cent of Wyoming residents support legalising adult-use cannabis.
LATAM & CARIBBEAN
- Mexican Supreme Court extends deadline for lawmakers to legalise cannabis to April 2021.
- Avicanna launches medical cannabis programme nationwide in Colombia.
- Costa Rican lawmakers seek to legalise medical cannabis.
- Khiron successfully imports high-THC medical cannabis products into Peru.
- Brazil makes slow progress on medical cannabis cultivation legalisation bill.
- Khiron’s medical cannabis products qualify for national insurance coverage in Colombia.
- iX Biopharma receives Australian CBD product of the year award.
- Australian Natural Therapeutics receives medicinal cannabis oil manufacturing licence.
- New Zealand pharmacies accused of overcharging patients for medical cannabis.
- Three out of five prescriptions for medical cannabis are to treat chronic pain in Australia.
- CannaPacific and CSIRO trial novel encapsulation technologies for medicinal cannabinoids.
- New Zealand farmers prepare to export ‘world’s best’ medical cannabis.
- Thailand is set to launch Southeast Asia’s first-ever cannabis tour.
AFRICA & MIDDLE EAST
- Panaxia receives its first commercial export permit for medical cannabis products.
- Israel’s Health Committee expects to exclude CBD from the Drug Ordinance.
- Charlotte’s Web announces expansion into Israel through InterCure distribution agreement.
- Middle East law firm launches region’s first dedicated medical cannabis practice.
- Aleafia Health signs three-year agreement with Equinox International to enter Israeli market.
- British entrepreneur assists in the utilisation of high-quality cannabis in Malawi.
On the global cannabis industry
International Cannabis Weekly newsletter brings you the most important developments, news and informed commentary on the global cannabis industry. Join our community of 70,000+ subscribers.