GERMANY IMPORTS RECORD VOLUME OF MEDICAL CANNABIS IN 2020
Imports of medical cannabis flower into Germany hit record highs in Q4 of 2020, closing the year with a 37% year-on-year growth according to data from the Federal Institute for Drugs and Medical Devices.
As the largest cannabis market in Europe, Germany continues to expand the availability of medical cannabis despite the challenges posed by COVID-19.
- Czech Republic hospital establishes first medical cannabis research centre.
- Italian hemp varieties Carmagnola and CS may be recertified this year.
- Israeli company Kanabo enjoys successful debut on the London Stock Exchange.
- LYPHE Group imports Northern Green Canada into the U.K.
- Malta’s prime minister says cannabis users may soon be able to grow the plant legally.
- Bio Hemp Farming becomes first Italian company to sell hemp in the country.
- Eurox Pharma launches the first domestically produced THC oils in Germany.
- Roadmap to adult-use cannabis legalisation in Switzerland is laid out.
- Bedrocan explains reasons behind failure to export cannabis oil to the UK.
NEW REPORT REVEALS DETAILS OF US CANNABIS FUNDING INITIATIVES IN 2020
The overwhelming support towards the cannabis initiatives in the 2020 ballots are emphasised in the discrepancies in financial contributions supporting and opposing cannabis legalisation initiatives.
Financial contributions supporting cannabis initiatives reached US$30.5m compared to opposing contributions that only reached US$1.9m. This difference clearly portrays the scale of support for cannabis initiatives within the US.
- Members of Congress pen open letter to Joe Biden requesting non-violent cannabis offenders receive pardons.
- The number of medical cannabis cardholders in Massachusetts tops 100,000.
- Humboldt County bans outdoor cultivation of low-THC hemp varieties.
- Large employers in Maine halt testing workers for cannabis.
- California considers banning smokable hemp.
- New Mexico House committee approves a general cannabis legalisation bill.
- New York court rules Curaleaf did not mislead investors over legality of CBD.
- The number of cannabis industry jobs in Michigan is growing faster than in any other state.
- Minnesota adult-use cannabis bill passes first-ever legislative committee.
- New York governor Andrew Cuomo lays out US$100m social equity project.
- The Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario issues 30 cannabis retail store authorisations per week.
- Halo Collective imports medical cannabis to the UK.
- Pure Extracts and Canada House Wellness Group enter cannabis 2.0 distribution deal.
- HEXO acquires Zenabis’ shares for US$235 million in stock.
- WeedMD announces launch of US-based brand Mary’s Medicinals in Canadian market.
LATAM & CARIBBEAN
- São Paulo State Health Department ordered to pay cannabis health costs of patient.
- Colombian GrowLAB signs a licensing agreement with DNA Genetics.
- Pideka SAS becomes first company to export THC to Mexico.
- Uruguayan government seeks five companies to produce adult-use cannabis.
- Barbados officials want to develop cannabis industry via the country’s stock exchange.
- Eurofarma expands operations in Latin America with acquisition of Takeda assets.
- Two pharmacy chains in Peru begin selling medicinal cannabis to patients.
- Cann Group acquires Statipharm for CA$4m deal.
- Official Thai government department promotes cannabis consumption to nationals.
- Harvest One Cannabis Inc expands into China by partnering with Golden River Services.
- Largest cannabis cultivation plant in southern hemisphere set to open in Western Australia.
- Greenlab Australia signs a two-year distribution deal with Cannvalate.
- The prime minister of Malaysia announces cannabis will not be legalised.
AFRICA & MIDDLE EAST
- Israeli start-up RCK signs deal with Dutch-based SeedTech.
- Israeli PM Benjamin Netanyahu pledges continued support for adult-use cannabis legalisation.
- Aurora issues an official apology to cannabis patients in Israel.
- Ghanaian minister clarifies cannabis legalisation is for industrial purposes only.
- Debate on cannabis legalisation in Nigeria causes major political divisions.
- Moroccan economy suffers as a result of falling cannabis imports to Europe.