International Cannabis Weekly: 193
REIMBURSED SALES OF MEDICAL CANNABIS GREW BY 34% IN 2020
The German National Association of Statutory Health Insurance Funds (GKV), whose members insure 90% of the population, has released the data on reimbursed medical cannabis usage covering the entirety of 2020, revealing that total reimbursements amounted to €165 million in the year.
The GKV has also released data showing that the market for medical cannabis in Germany continued to grow in 2020, increasing by 34% compared to 2019 excluding the newly added product Epidiolex.
CURALEAF CEO BORIS JORDAN AMONG SPEAKERS AT PROHIBITION PARTNERS LIVE
NEW MEXICO BECOMES LATEST US STATE TO LEGALISE ADULT-USE CANNABIS
- Stephen Murphy says Ireland’s latent medicinal cannabis framework ‘a sincere disservice’ to patients.
- German government commits to cannabinoid research by funding CBD company.
- Scottish CBD company closes £874,000 crowdfunding round early after beating initial target.
- German company launches tool to facilitate easier access to cannabinoid therapy.
- Ukraine acknowledges health benefits of cannabinoids and approves two cannabis-based medicines.
- Full Moon Investments spends €6 million on redeveloping Europe’s largest rose greenhouse to cultivate medical cannabis.
- Irish CBD start-up raises €4.5 million to provide stable banking options for CBD businesses and hemp farmers.
- Ireland’s leading politicians are not going far enough with medical cannabis reform.
LAUNCH OF CANNABIS INDUSTRY COUNCIL IS A SIGNIFICANT AND ‘POSITIVE MILESTONE’ FOR THE UK
A NEW UK Cannabis Industry Council is being created with the aim of providing a platform for the industry to speak with a unified voice. It is being driven initially by industry expert Professor Mike Barnes – Chairman of the Medical Cannabis Clinicians Society – and aims to unite 100 companies in the initial stage.
Speaking to BusinessCann, Prohibition Partners Co-Founder Stephen Murphy said: ‘The UK is emerging as a European leader and the Cannabis Industry Council will have a significant role to play if we are going to achieve our potential.’
- New Jersey Cannabis Regulatory Commission holds first meeting to set cannabis agenda.
- Idaho close to becoming the final US state to legalise industrial hemp.
- Virginia’s cannabis legalisation plans brought forward by three years.
- Minnesota cannabis legalisation bill moves through fifth House committee.
- Department of Agriculture to invest US$500,000 into first hemp seed bank.
- New law signals Montana’s intentions to become leader in advancing hemp production.
- Proposed bill seeks to allow cannabis home cultivation in Washington State.
- Cannabis sales in Michigan reach record US$115.4 million in March.
- CBD and cannabinoid products approved by the UFC.
- Senate poised to move forward with federal cannabis legislation bill.
- HEXO further develops cannabis-infused beverages to meet fast-evolving consumer needs.
- Canopy Growth considers local cannabis growers for first Quebec-exclusive brand.
- Namaste Technologies propels its online webshop CannMart with new supplier agreements.
- COVID-19 could impact Aphria’s Tilray merger as third-quarter sales decline.
- United Weed Workers sets campaign date for countrywide initiative to improve working conditions.
- Medical cannabis growers could lose licences under strict new rules.
- Glass House to become California’s largest cannabis operator after deal worth over US$1 billion.
- Aphria hoping to grow beyond cannabis by acquiring consumer products brands.
LATAM & CARIBBEAN
- Argentinian governor encourages tobacco producers to open multi-million-dollar market by switching to cannabis.
- Medicinal hemp producer Virtudes and Jamaican luxury skincare company announce partnership agreement.
- Colombia to export non-psychoactive cannabis seeds to the UK.
- Bill on medicinal cannabis use advances in Argentinian congress.
- Mexican foundation urges government to comply with injunction to provide medical cannabis.
- Progress in Argentina as legislators discuss proposals on medical cannabis laws.
- Argentinian organisations draft law addressing shortcomings with current cannabis regulation.
- Clever Leaves expands to Brazil and Peru in pursuit of LATAM monopoly.
- MediPharm Labs completes first high-THC cannabis oil export to Peru.
- Brazilian health regulator signals softening stance by authorising two new cannabis products.
- Australian biotech company Avecho makes further cannabis industry progress as human trials approved.
- Small Marlborough company ready to harvest NZ’s largest crop of medicinal cannabis.
- New Zealand’s largest medicinal cannabis farm begins harvest proving organic practice can work at scale.
- New Zealand company Medical Kiwi denied listing on the NZX.
- Australian medicinal cannabis facility to create 1,000 jobs with AU$400 million grant.
- Asterion and ANTG create largest renewables-powered medical cannabis facility in the world.
- ECS Botanics wants Tasmania to be global epicentre of medical cannabis production.
- Cann Global to research use of medical cannabis to slow MS progression.
AFRICA & MIDDLE EAST
- Boost for cannabis industry stakeholders as Malawi regulator allows medicinal and industrial hemp crops.
- Israeli medical cannabis patient growth continues with 3,000 new cannabis prescriptions issued last month.
- Laprophan Laboratories partners with Moroccan university to conduct medical cannabis research.
- South African students illustrate hopes for future cannabis industry with new high-tech growing technique.
- Creso Pharma’s commercial agreement with Cannabis Queen strengthens African presence.
- New South African cannabis regulations to be introduced within next two years.
On the global cannabis industry
International Cannabis Weekly newsletter brings you the most important developments, news and informed commentary on the global cannabis industry. Join our community of 70,000+ subscribers.