REIMBURSED SALES OF MEDICAL CANNABIS GREW BY 34% IN 2020
The German National Association of Statutory Health Insurance Funds (GKV), whose members insure 90% of the population, has released the data on reimbursed medical cannabis usage covering the entirety of 2020, revealing that total reimbursements amounted to €165 million in the year.
The GKV has also released data showing that the market for medical cannabis in Germany continued to grow in 2020, increasing by 34% compared to 2019 excluding the newly added product Epidiolex.
CURALEAF CEO BORIS JORDAN AMONG SPEAKERS AT PROHIBITION PARTNERS LIVE
NEW MEXICO BECOMES LATEST US STATE TO LEGALISE ADULT-USE CANNABIS
- Stephen Murphy says Ireland’s latent medicinal cannabis framework ‘a sincere disservice’ to patients.
- German government commits to cannabinoid research by funding CBD company.
- Scottish CBD company closes £874,000 crowdfunding round early after beating initial target.
- German company launches tool to facilitate easier access to cannabinoid therapy.
- Ukraine acknowledges health benefits of cannabinoids and approves two cannabis-based medicines.
- Full Moon Investments spends €6 million on redeveloping Europe’s largest rose greenhouse to cultivate medical cannabis.
- Irish CBD start-up raises €4.5 million to provide stable banking options for CBD businesses and hemp farmers.
- Ireland’s leading politicians are not going far enough with medical cannabis reform.
LAUNCH OF CANNABIS INDUSTRY COUNCIL IS A SIGNIFICANT AND ‘POSITIVE MILESTONE’ FOR THE UK
A NEW UK Cannabis Industry Council is being created with the aim of providing a platform for the industry to speak with a unified voice. It is being driven initially by industry expert Professor Mike Barnes – Chairman of the Medical Cannabis Clinicians Society – and aims to unite 100 companies in the initial stage.
Speaking to BusinessCann, Prohibition Partners Co-Founder Stephen Murphy said: ‘The UK is emerging as a European leader and the Cannabis Industry Council will have a significant role to play if we are going to achieve our potential.’
- New Jersey Cannabis Regulatory Commission holds first meeting to set cannabis agenda.
- Idaho close to becoming the final US state to legalise industrial hemp.
- Virginia’s cannabis legalisation plans brought forward by three years.
- Minnesota cannabis legalisation bill moves through fifth House committee.
- Department of Agriculture to invest US$500,000 into first hemp seed bank.
- New law signals Montana’s intentions to become leader in advancing hemp production.
- Proposed bill seeks to allow cannabis home cultivation in Washington State.
- Cannabis sales in Michigan reach record US$115.4 million in March.
- CBD and cannabinoid products approved by the UFC.
- Senate poised to move forward with federal cannabis legislation bill.
- HEXO further develops cannabis-infused beverages to meet fast-evolving consumer needs.
- Canopy Growth considers local cannabis growers for first Quebec-exclusive brand.
- Namaste Technologies propels its online webshop CannMart with new supplier agreements.
- COVID-19 could impact Aphria’s Tilray merger as third-quarter sales decline.
- United Weed Workers sets campaign date for countrywide initiative to improve working conditions.
- Medical cannabis growers could lose licences under strict new rules.
- Glass House to become California’s largest cannabis operator after deal worth over US$1 billion.
- Aphria hoping to grow beyond cannabis by acquiring consumer products brands.
LATAM & CARIBBEAN
- Argentinian governor encourages tobacco producers to open multi-million-dollar market by switching to cannabis.
- Medicinal hemp producer Virtudes and Jamaican luxury skincare company announce partnership agreement.
- Colombia to export non-psychoactive cannabis seeds to the UK.
- Bill on medicinal cannabis use advances in Argentinian congress.
- Mexican foundation urges government to comply with injunction to provide medical cannabis.
- Progress in Argentina as legislators discuss proposals on medical cannabis laws.
- Argentinian organisations draft law addressing shortcomings with current cannabis regulation.
- Clever Leaves expands to Brazil and Peru in pursuit of LATAM monopoly.
- MediPharm Labs completes first high-THC cannabis oil export to Peru.
- Brazilian health regulator signals softening stance by authorising two new cannabis products.
- Australian biotech company Avecho makes further cannabis industry progress as human trials approved.
- Small Marlborough company ready to harvest NZ’s largest crop of medicinal cannabis.
- New Zealand’s largest medicinal cannabis farm begins harvest proving organic practice can work at scale.
- New Zealand company Medical Kiwi denied listing on the NZX.
- Australian medicinal cannabis facility to create 1,000 jobs with AU$400 million grant.
- Asterion and ANTG create largest renewables-powered medical cannabis facility in the world.
- ECS Botanics wants Tasmania to be global epicentre of medical cannabis production.
- Cann Global to research use of medical cannabis to slow MS progression.
AFRICA & MIDDLE EAST
- Boost for cannabis industry stakeholders as Malawi regulator allows medicinal and industrial hemp crops.
- Israeli medical cannabis patient growth continues with 3,000 new cannabis prescriptions issued last month.
- Laprophan Laboratories partners with Moroccan university to conduct medical cannabis research.
- South African students illustrate hopes for future cannabis industry with new high-tech growing technique.
- Creso Pharma’s commercial agreement with Cannabis Queen strengthens African presence.
- New South African cannabis regulations to be introduced within next two years.