International Cannabis Weekly: 195
THE CANADIAN CANNABIS EXPORT MARKET FOR 2020 REVEALED
For the first time, export data for Canadian cannabis is made available via Prohibition Partners’ new data and insights platform for the cannabis industry: Atalis. This illuminating data shows a huge increase in the exports of cannabis from Canada in 2020, as well as a growing network of countries that are importing from established Canadian producers.
Statistics Canada has provided data to Atalis that reveal in-depth details of the cannabis produced and exported from Canada to major countries worldwide.
NEW UK CANNABIS POLICY PROPOSALS COULD CREATE 100,000 NEW JOBS
NEW YORK CANNABIS LAW TO PRIORITISE SOCIAL AND ECONOMIC EQUITY
- Europe’s first medical cannabis accelerator offering twenty start-ups chance to pitch for €4 million.
- Fledgling political party calls on Maltese government to launch cannabis social club pilot project.
- Netherlands coffeeshop owner victorious after 12-year legal battle.
- Berlin-based food start-up granted €505,000 to create stable water-soluble CBD for food production.
- Cannabis debate rekindled in Italy as home grower is acquitted by court.
- Belgium senate approves evaluation of 100-year-old drug law signalling attitude shift.
- Cannabis legalisation in Germany progresses as Greens and CDU hold coalition talks.
- Italian Minister for Youth Policies calls for debate on medical cannabis.
- Colgate’s acquisition of Hello Products begins with the launch of CBD oral care products.
- Largest cannabis facility in Hawaii completes solar installation to increase sustainability impact.
- Cannabis debate reignites in North Carolina as lawmakers file legalisation bill.
- THC offers hemp industry commercial promise but more states are implementing bans.
- Semantics halts campaign to legalise recreational cannabis in Florida.
- Hawaii legislature continuing to push for cannabis and psilocybin despite previous legalisation bill failures.
- GrowGeneration staking claim on Mississippi medical cannabis market with new state-of-the-art centre.
- Advancement of cannabis reform legislation picks up pace as Texas approves two new bills.
- Bipartisan coalition urges leaders to protect cannabis programmes from federal interference in upcoming spending bill.
- US Cannabis Council acknowledges importance of accessibility with appointment of Director of Social Equity.
- USDA works on significantly expanding the hemp-based cosmetics market.
- Minnesota bill will combat disparities in the treatment of minority communities for cannabis possession.
- Updated US postal rules could kill small vape companies.
- NFL announces changes to its drug policy, focusing on cannabis testing during preseason only.
- Supreme Court halts progress of legal cannabis in Florida by blocking legalisation bill.
- Federal prohibition prevents cannabis transportation contributing to industry’s heavy emissions.
- Bid to expand Louisiana’s medical cannabis programme sails through first review.
PROHIBITION PARTNERS LIVE: FINAL CALL FOR SPONSORS
The countdown is on. We’re less than three weeks away from the return of Prohibition Partners LIVE on 18–20 May – and the deadline for securing a sponsorship slot is fast approaching. The final cut-off date to sign up is Wednesday, 5 May 2021, and there are only a handful of Gold, Silver and Bronze partnership packages left.
Previous sponsors include: DLA Piper, Cann Group, Avicanna, Danish Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Shimadzu, Storz & Bickel, and the Institute of Cannabis Research (ICR).
- TransCanna awarded rare processing licence by California, opening massive new revenue stream.
- Canadian cannabis sales continue to rise, growing 74% in February to C$263 million.
- Valens’ C$40 million acquisition of US CBD company more than triples total addressable market.
- Namaste Technologies reports 113% surge in cannabis sales.
- Rubicon Organics expands Canadian distribution with first direct purchase order from Manitoba Liquor & Lotteries.
- Fledgling CBD company Voyager validated by backing of 21 new private investors.
- HEXO receives the leading certification standard for medical cannabis cultivation.
- Neptune Wellness extends Canadian footprint over 1,600 retailers with new supply agreement.
- Canopy Growth signs deal with one of America’s largest alcohol wholesalers.
- Quebec’s ban on the self-cultivation of cannabis for personal use is on appeal.
LATAM & CARIBBEAN
- Argentina authorises cannabis seeds for medicinal use in order to improve access and suppress the illegal market.
- Jamaican cigarette distributor confirms interest in exploring market opportunities with medical cannabis.
- Argentina continues cannabis experiment as third city contemplates potential veterinary uses.
- Legalisation efforts halted in Costa Rica as president confirms opposition to recreational cannabis bill.
- Deadline to discuss cannabis regulation in Mexico could be delayed until September.
- Senior Brazilian politicians continue to favour cannabis isolate, delaying full cannabis legalisation.
- Argentina plans to build the largest cannabis garden in America to rival US and Canada.
- Legalisation among factors contributing to 50% growth in cannabis self-cultivation in Uruguay.
- Argentinian province La Pampa looks set to introduce its own regulation for cannabis self-cultivation.
- Australia’s first cannabis medicine placed under government subsidy for the treatment of drug-resistant epilepsy.
- NZ medical cannabis business shows the way to stay green by generating its own electricity.
- Bombay Hemp Company launches its first retail outlet offering hemp-based health products.
- Australian MGC Pharma to acquire world-renowned research company MediCaNL.
- Australian company Cann exports the largest single shipment of cannabis extract to German partner iuvo.
- Pakistani denim maker embraces hemp as a sustainable solution to agricultural processing.
- Incannex holds pre-investigational new CBD drug application for the treatment of inflammatory conditions.
- A comprehensive analysis of the cannabis industry in Thailand.
AFRICA & MIDDLE EAST
- Next leader of Israel may have to drop opposition to legalisation to secure Labor Party support.
- Israelis gather for 10th annual protest calling for cannabis reform.
- New chapter for Malawi as first cannabis producers awarded cultivation and processing licences.
- Cannabis activists form uneasy truce with South African government after protests over licensing process.
- Israeli medical cannabis inhaler gets approval for marketing in Canada.
On the global cannabis industry
International Cannabis Weekly newsletter brings you the most important developments, news and informed commentary on the global cannabis industry. Join our community of 70,000+ subscribers.