International Cannabis Weekly: 217
NEW GERMAN GOVERNMENT COULD FORM EUROPE’S FIRST LEGAL ADULT-USE CANNABIS MARKET
With negotiations underway on the formation of a new German government, supporters of a regulated adult-use cannabis market believe a significant moment in European history beckons. German cannabis lawyer Kai-Friedrich Niermann believes the path is now clear for significant cannabis reform.
He said: ‘For the first time, it is likely that two parties with a clear strategy for cannabis legalisation will be part of a new federal government.’ One of Germany’s most senior cannabis business leaders says with a so-called Traffic Light Coalition there is a ‘strong likelihood’ of adult-use cannabis legalisation.
MEDICAL CANNABIS PATIENTS IN CONNECTICUT ALLOWED TO CULTIVATE SIX CANNABIS PLANTS
SPANISH SENATE MAJORITY VOTES AGAINST REGULATING CANNABIS CLUBS
- Spanish senator plans to introduce adult-use cannabis legislation in October, despite cannabis club vote down.
- Study finds 95% of patients with rare skin condition experience significant improvement after topical CBD treatment.
- German study finds the number of adult cannabis users in Europe has increased by 27% in the last 10 years.
- Italy’s referendum on personal cannabis cultivation at risk of rejection due to bureaucracy and municipality reluctance.
- Ireland to begin prescribing medical cannabis products for patients with specific drug-resistant illnesses.
- Farming co-op Danish Agro expands into hemp after its 70% stake purchase of Møllerup Brands.
- Italy’s Ministry of Health provides no clearer access for chronically ill patients after failure of medical cannabis supply.
- Foundation for Pharmaceutical Statistics finds 9% fewer people began using medical cannabis in 2021 than in 2020.
- AMP becomes exclusive marketing partner for Aphria branded products imported into, or cultivated in, Germany.
- Germany sees an 80% increase in medical cannabis imports in the first half of 2021.
- NBA’s Chris Webber launches US$50 million cannabis operations and training facility in Detroit’s Corktown district.
- New York to lead the US in achieving social equity goals in cannabis, says state senator.
- New York’s The Cannabinoid Institute offers free cannabis training certification courses to 100 medical students.
- Ayr Wellness has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire Cultivauna LLC in a deal worth US$60 million.
- Columbia University uses new technology that provides a more precise measure to quantify the effects of cannabinoids.
- Governor of New York makes regulatory appointments for the cannabis industry, to get implementation underway.
- Arkansas True Grass works towards placing adult-use cannabis amendments on the November 2022 ballot.
- Montana’s officials prepare for the state’s adult-use cannabis programme with a launch date set for January 2022.
- Cresco Labs acquires three Philadelphia-based Cure Penn cannabis dispensaries for US$90 million in stock and cash.
- California expunges additional 60,000 pre-legalisation cannabis convictions, bringing total up to 125,000.
CiiTECH ANNOUNCED AS GOLD SPONSOR OF CANNABIS EUROPA LONDON
UK-based cannabis healthcare company CiiTECH has been announced as the Gold Sponsor of the upcoming Cannabis Europa London conference on 10-11 November. CiiTECH brings the highest quality Israeli cannabis research and unique product formulations to the global market, starting with the UK and Europe, where industry standards are considered among the highest in the world.
Investors, policy makers and influential cannabis industry leaders will come together to help shape the future of cannabis in Europe at Cannabis Europa London.
- SOL Global to offer purchase for cancellation up to C$30 million of its outstanding common shares.
- Aurora faces a class-action lawsuit after it was found to have artificially inflated its 2019 quarterly earnings.
- Canada’s cannabis sales reached a record C$339 million in July, an increase of 46% from the same period in 2020.
- Inca Renewable Technologies to use Canadian hemp to produce hemp-based panelling aimed at the RV industry.
- Kiaro completes Hemisphere Cannabis acquisition, projecting C$42.7 million in annual revenue.
- High Tide opens two more Canna Cabana cannabis dispensaries in Ottawa, with 99 stores across Canada in total.
LATAM & CARIBBEAN
- Paraná Regional Council of Medicine maintains restrictive stance on medical cannabis despite ANVISA frameworks.
- Pampa Hemp makes first legal production of medical cannabis with the National Institute of Agricultural Technology.
- University of the Valley of Mexico study finds 70% of Mexicans want adult-use cannabis to be legalised.
- Costa Rican patients with chronic illnesses demand the approval of a bill that would regulate medical cannabis.
- ANVISA increases deadline to authorise the importation of medical cannabis products in Brazil from 7 to 20 days.
- Paraguay’s cannabis laws see no positive impact for marginalised communities or small cannabis cultivators.
- Aurora Cannabis launches its first product wholly produced in Uruguay, to be made available through pharmacies.
- Bod Australia to begin phase llB clinical trials on the effectiveness of its new CBD medication on insomnia.
- AUDACIOUS has retained services of international investment bank DelMorgan with its AU$15 million capital raise.
- Rua Bioscience receives GMP certification in preparation for launch of its first CBD product.
- Agtech Global imports 32 multi-span greenhouses from China for large-scale cannabis cultivation.
- Polynesian MP puts forward bill to authorise experimentation on cannabis to emulate France’s current cannabis trials.
AFRICA & MIDDLE EAST
- Rastafarian community prompts North West provincial government to call for full legalisation of adult-use cannabis.
- Minister for Agriculture plans for Western Cape to become an integral part of the cannabis industry supply chain.
- Israel’s cannabis sales expected to reach NIS1.5 billion by the end of 2021, with 43 tons of cannabis available to patients.
- Innocan Pharma to file patent application for a cannabinoid exosome delivery platform developed at Tel Aviv University.
On the global cannabis industry
International Cannabis Weekly newsletter brings you the most important developments, news and informed commentary on the global cannabis industry. Join our community of 70,000+ subscribers.