International Cannabis Weekly: 268
Yesterday President Biden pardoned thousands of people convicted of cannabis possession under federal law. He also confirmed that his administration would look into whether cannabis should still be in the same legal category as heroin and LSD.
The pardons will clear everyone convicted on federal charges of simple possession since it became a crime in the 1970s. Exact data has not been released but experts suggest the new ruling will affect thousands.
THE FDA HAS HIRED A CANNABIS RESEARCH ADVISER FOR THE FIRST TIME
EUROPEAN CANNABIS STOCKS EXPECTED TO RISE AFTER JOE BIDEN ANNOUNCEMENT
- The French Minister of Health announces a potential extension of a pilot programme on medical cannabis.
- Sanity Group has closed Europe’s largest ever cannabis investment round worth €37.6m.
- Akanda announces that it has received a written NASDAQ notification regarding minimum bid price deficiency.
- Infarmed has published a report on the evolution of medical cannabis activity in Portugal.
- Despite five years of medical cannabis legalisation in Germany, the country still heavily relies on imports.
- Enecta Farm brings its own hemp varieties to the market and into the EU hemp catalogue.
- Khiron Life Sciences has expanded its medical cannabis offering in German pharmacies.
- Coffeeshops in Amsterdam are to remain open to tourists, despite efforts to ban visitors.
- Portuguese fund Iberis Capital has invested in German cannabis company Avextra.
- The UK’s ‘mini-budget’ has wiped over £22 million off LSE-listed cannabis stocks.
- Illinois adult-use cannabis sales of US$130.7 million increased 1% sequentially in September.
- Adult-use cannabis retail stores have finally opened in Vermont as the first sales get underway.
- Kentucky governor Andy Beshear continues to push ahead with his medical cannabis commitments.
- DEA-licensed cannabis company Biopharmaceutical Research Company announces US$20 million funding.
- This year cannabis taxes have overtaken alcohol and cigarettes in Colorado and Washington.
- Pennsylvania officials promote cannabis pardon programme ahead of application deadline.
- Northern Lights Acquisition Corp. announces that it has completed its acquisition of Safe Harbor.
- NextEvo Naturals has added Revive CBD Complex Curcumin and Hemp Extract to its line of water-soluble CBD products.
- Cannabis lounges are coming to Las Vegas after the city council voted 5–1 against a proposal not to allow them.
BUSINESS OF CANNABIS: NEW YORK SPONSORSHIP CLOSING SOON
Sponsorship applications for Business of Cannabis: New York are closing soon. Get in touch today so you can position your brand in front of New York industry leaders at a defining moment for cannabis in the state and North America.
Join our sponsors and choose from a variety of sponsorship packages to elevate your business as one of the major players in the North American cannabis space.
- Nearly 10% of Canadian cannabis consumers engage in home cultivation to save on costs.
- Federally licensed British Columbia cannabis growers will be able to sell products from their farms.
- Ayurcann Holdings Corp. has announced the arrival of 15 additional product listings in the province of Ontario.
- Retail cannabis prices are being kept low in Canada despite inflation due to intense competition.
LATAM & The Caribbean
- Colombian lawmakers approve cannabis legalisation bill and call for global drug policy reform.
- A Brazilian university project aims to bring together students, patients and doctors on the research of cannabis.
- The government of Argentina is looking to extend the law on the industrialisation of medical cannabis.
- The Argentinian government has authorised the operation of a medical cannabis production plant.
- Business opportunities in Costa Rica are expanding with the approval of medicinal cannabis.
THE ASIAN CANNABIS REPORT – SPONSORSHIP APPLICATIONS CLOSING SOON
Sponsorship applications for The Asian Cannabis Report are closing soon. Get in touch today so you can position your brand in front of Asian industry leaders at a defining moment for cannabis in the region.
Join our sponsors and choose from a variety of sponsorship packages to elevate your business as one of the major players in the Asian cannabis space.
- Australian medical experts are concerned about a boom in unapproved medical cannabis.
- A new survey has shown a dramatic increase in the percentage of Australians accessing medical cannabis.
- Cronos Australia Ltd share price has risen by over 80% month-on-month to a record high of 75 cents.
- Medical cannabis has yet to be imported from New Zealand due to lack of medically diagnosed cases in the Cook Islands.
- A parliamentary committee has been established to legalise cannabis as an export product in Sri Lanka.
Africa & The Middle East
- The most comprehensive cannabis book in the Hebrew language is now available to the general public.
- The Israeli government admits that the ‘prescription cannabis’ reform will be delayed until after the elections.
- The South African Constitutional Court has decriminalised the possession of cannabis for minors.
- Ten licences have been awarded in Morocco for medical, industrial and cosmetic use of cannabis.
on the global cannabis industry
International Cannabis Weekly newsletter brings you the most important developments, news and informed commentary on the global cannabis industry. Join our community of 80,000+ subscribers.