International Cannabis Weekly: 280
THE FDA TO MAKE RECOMMENDATIONS ON REGULATION OF CANNABIS-DERIVED PRODUCTS IN THE COMING MONTHS
The FDA is studying whether legal cannabis is safe in food or supplements and plans to make recommendations for how to regulate the growing number of cannabis-derived products in the coming months, writes the Wall Street Journal.
The head of the FDA’s office for developing cannabis strategy, Patrick Cournoyer, said the agency is aiming to find out if CBD can be safely eaten every day for a long period or during pregnancy. The FDA will then decide ‘within months’ how legal cannabis should best be regulated.
WHAT IS IN STORE FOR THE EUROPEAN CANNABIS INDUSTRY IN 2023?
CONNECTICUT CLEARS RECORDS OF NEARLY 43,000 CANNABIS CONVICTIONS
- The Swiss federal commission on addiction issues advocates for legal and controlled access to cannabis products.
- Lithuanian President Gitanas Nausėda opposes decriminalisation of cannabis in the country.
- Survey finds that 66% of the Czech Republic support cannabis legalisation while 76% are open to regulated sales.
- Spain’s Agency for Medicines and Health Products to release plans by the end of January for legalisation.
- Celadon Pharmaceuticals is confident in the UK regulatory approval for its’ cannabis medicine facility.
- Italian soldiers producing own-brand cannabis to meet demand for legal medical market in Italy.
- New study finds cannabis-based medicinal products effective in improving symptoms of PTSD, sleep and anxiety.
- Luxembourg’s attorney general’s office has addressed concerns about the legalisation of recreational cannabis.
- Synthetic cannabinoids: Analytical methodology for detection in illegal street drugs and medical cannabis products.
- Irish government urged to consider cannabis legalisation for adult use and drug policy reforms.
- Last-minute surge of medical cannabis applications in Alabama ahead of 30 December deadline.
- The Minnesota pharmacy board says it lacks resources to regulate hemp-derived THC edibles industry.
- Massachusetts could see record US$4bn in cannabis sales, with over US$88m in tax revenue generated last year.
- Virginia GOP lawmaker’s bill to regulate cannabis sales faces criticism for lack of social equity provisions.
- Google to allow advertising for hemp and CBD products in California, Colorado and Puerto Rico.
- US Virgin Islands lawmakers approve comprehensive cannabis reform bill and separate expungements legislation.
- Advocates push Kentucky lawmakers to legalise medical cannabis with tunnel display of chronic condition sufferers.
SECURE YOUR CANNABIS EUROPA TICKETS TODAY
This May 2-3, Cannabis Europa returns to the Barbican Centre. Join us for two days of exceptional networking opportunities, industry defining discussions with genuine decision makers and future predictions for the growing European cannabis industry.
This year you have a chance to amplify your presence in London by joining us at Cannabis Europa.
- Flora Growth closes acquisition of Franchise Global Health, cementing foothold in Germany and EU.
- Quebec’s cannabis laws, which mean consumers are limited to certain products, are helping the black market thrive.
- Annual Canadian Cannabis Survey finds stable cannabis use rates, increasing legal dispensary usage.
- Health Canada announces approval of amendments to regulations concerning cannabis research, testing and beverages.
- A new study finds medical cannabis reform in Canada to be associated with reduced alcohol sales.
To complement the Global Cannabis Report: 3rd Edition, we have two premium packages available.
The first is Prohibition Partners’ proprietary market sizing data, which includes country-by-country forecasts of the medical, CBD and adult-use cannabis markets around the globe.
The second package is Prohibition Partners’ proprietary market sizing data, as well as a comprehensive collection of real world data, showing the growth in sales of cannabis globally.
LATAM & The Caribbean
- Meeting held at Bonaparte Hospital in Argentina to discuss using medicinal cannabis in mental health treatment.
- Thirteen cannabis research projects approved in Argentina with ARS 106 million in funding.
- Three universities in Argentina to offer cannabis-related courses in 2023, including a Diploma in Cannabis.
- Brazilian Federal District and states considering laws to decriminalise cultivation of cannabis.
- Ecuador’s government approves first hemp crop through initiative with Latin American Industrial Hemp Association.
- ECS Botanics secures multi-million-dollar supply agreement with Ilios Sante for medicinal cannabis products.
- Cann Group to sell Southern cultivation and manufacturing facility to Sativite for A$5.5m.
- First verified locally grown and made THC-based cannabis medicines launched in New Zealand by Helius Therapeutics.
- The WEED.in.th app has simplified finding and promoting cannabis businesses in Thailand.
- Legal use of medicinal cannabis on the rise in Australia, according to third Cannabis as Medicine study.
Africa & The Middle East
on the global cannabis industry
International Cannabis Weekly newsletter brings you the most important developments, news and informed commentary on the global cannabis industry. Join our community of 80,000+ subscribers.