International Cannabis Weekly: 318
SAFER BANKING ACT PASSES KEY VOTE TO ADVANCE TO FINAL VOTE IN THE SENATE
In a major development for the US cannabis industry, Members of the Senate Banking Committee have voted to approve the SAFER Banking Act, paving the way for its final vote in the Senate.
NEW YORK TO ISSUE OVER 1,000 CANNABIS LICENCES IN MAJOR MARKET EXPANSION
FRENCH GOVERNMENT WON’T SUPPORT MEDICAL CANNABIS LEGALISATION IN 2024
- Positive regulatory progress in Portugal, Belgium, and the Netherlands signals rapid global cannabis reform.
- BRITISH CANNABIS announces strategic acquisition and continued operation of PhytoVista Laboratories.
- UK’s Oxford Cannabinoid Technologies (OCT) nears release of milestone clinical trial results.
- Exploring cannabis reform in the Czech Republic: progress, projections, and politics.
- Prohibition Partners announces strategic partnership with the National Cannabis Industry Association (NCIA).
- Europes first medical cannabis Exchange Traded Fund (ETF) to be merged as it is ‘no longer viable’.
- Wisconsin lawmakers introduce new adult-use cannabis legalisation bill, and remove penalties for those under 21.
- Connecticut hits record-breaking combined cannabis sales in August, totalling nearly $25 million.
- National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) recommends removing cannabinoids from its banned drugs list.
- Leafly files lawsuit against New York’s Office of Cannabis Management (OCM) and the Cannabis Control Board (CCB).
- Florida’s Trulieve announces opening of a new medical cannabis dispensary in Evans, Georgia.
- Nebraska medical cannabis campaign pushes for ballot; activist criticises governor’s opposition as a cop-out.
- Canadian cannabis retail sales up 1.9% to C$446.1 million in July, another new record for a month.
- British Columbia to allow producers to promote their products by offering samples to retailers for a ‘nominal fee’.
- Canadian researchers explore vaporised cannabis and its effects on patients with post-traumatic stress.
- iAnthus announces third medical cannabis dispensary and grand opening of New Jersey adult-use dispensary.
- Toronto’s MediPharm launches new GMP products to the Australian medical cannabis market.
- Akanda Corp. announces signing of option to develop Canadian THC and CBD farming facility.
LATAM & The Caribbean
- The rise of Gamma cannabis: The explosion in purchases in Uruguayan pharmacies.
- Sechat Academy in Brazil opens registrations for ‘use of cannabis products in clinical practice’ course.
- Argentinian government approves registration of a new cannabis seed, unveiling a brand new variety.
- Colombia’s Minister of the Interior proposes legalising cannabis to end the war against farmers.
- From the trenches of the Thai cannabis industry – a brief overview of goings on in Southeast Asia.
- Philippines Health Secretary Ted Herbosa eyes passage of medical cannabis bill into law.
- Thailand to tighten regulations on cannabis use, following decriminalisation last year.
- Western Australia’s Parliament House plays host to its first medicinal cannabis meet-up.
on the global cannabis industry
International Cannabis Weekly newsletter brings you the most important developments, news and informed commentary on the global cannabis industry. Join our community of 80,000+ subscribers.