JAZZ PHARMA TAKES CONTROL OF WORLD’S MOST POPULAR CANNABIS-BASED MEDICINE
This week, Jazz Pharmaceuticals announced its acquisition of GW Pharmaceuticals in a US$7.2 billion deal, subject to regulator and shareholder approval.
As a result, the company will also gain control of Epidiolex, the cannabis-based medicine used to treat severe types of epilepsy in children.
US GEARS TOWARDS FEDERAL CANNABIS REFORM
MGC PHARMACEUTICALS TO BE FIRST CANNABIS COMPANY LISTED ON LSE
- The “Piemonte” hospital in Messina issues the first free cannabis prescription in Sicily.
- The Lower House of the Czech Parliament rejects limited legalisation of adult-use cannabis.
- ZenPharm receives European Union Good Manufacturing Practices certification.
- Armenia is set to legalise the industrial cultivation of hemp as part of economic plan.
- Kaya Cannabis raises US$45 million to build a cannabis processing facility in Greece.
- Tilray obtains approval to provide medical cannabis products to Portugal.
- The EU approves the manufacture and distribution of natural CBD in the cosmetics industry.
- All female-led firm raises £1 million and launches with aim of developing CBD brand hub.
THE NORTH AMERICAN CANNABIS REPORT: SECOND EDITION
As 2021 commences and the North American cannabis industry continues to show promising developments, Prohibition Partners launches; The North American Cannabis Report: Second Edition, which provides a deep-dive on the current state of the cannabis industry in the US and Canada.
- New Mexico senators introduce adult-use cannabis legalisation proposals.
- The Virginia Senate Committee votes 9-5 to approve an adult-use cannabis legalisation bill.
- Farmers in the state of Nebraska transition from cultivating hops to hemp.
- Cresco Labs acquires licence for selling adult-use cannabis in Arizona.
- Idaho bucks legalisation trend in US & tries to constitutionally ban cannabis in the state.
- Alabama Senate Committee approves a bill to legalise medical marijuana.
- Democratic senators vow to introduce legalisation of cannabis in the US this year.
- Mississippi sets 1 July as the deadline for its medical cannabis programme.
- Minnesota Democrats make a push for legalising adult-use cannabis in the state.
- Canopy Growth launches its own CBD product for dogs.
PROHIBITION PARTNERS WEBINAR SERIES
INDUSTRY LEADERS DISCUSS KEY TRENDS SET TO DEFINE NORTH AMERICA CANNABIS MARKET
Next week, Prohibition Partners is hosting an exclusive panel discussion featuring leading figures from the North American cannabis sector.
This online launch event takes a look forward with the recent changes in the North American cannabis industry; across potential federal reform, ground-breaking social equity programmes and future market growth.
- WeedMD’s vaporiser becomes best selling cannabis product in Ontario.
- The Flowr Corporation ships dried cannabis flowers for the first time into the Quebec market.
- The Cannabis Education and Awareness Fund initiative suspended in New Brunswick.
- Toronto city council is expected to object to a new cannabis retail store proposal.
- Cannabis stocks surge with Aphria being a winner in the 2021 cannabis stock rally.
LATAM & CARIBBEAN
- Heritage Cannabis Holdings raises C$12m in equity financing to expand its business.
- The CannaBusiness Conference explores the Brazilian cannabis industry on 9 February.
- The cannabis industry asks Colombian government to allow export of dried flower.
- Latin Americ’s first-ever medical cannabis diploma launched in Mexico.
- SUS organises a meeting on medicinal cannabis implementation in medicine.
- Wide reforms of Australia’s licensing rules for cannabis businesses are tabled in parliament.
- New Zealand to see a shortage of medical cannabis supply due to new product regulations.
- Decriminalisation of adult-use cannabis in the ACT benefits users and stakeholders.
- Aurora Cannabis signs a five-year supply deal with MedReleaf.
- Australia’s pharmacy chain Chemist Warehouse partners with Cannatrek.
- Greenlab is set to supply a range of certified cannabis products to Australia.
- President says that a policy decision is required to legalise medical cannabis in Sri Lanka.
- Private firm aims to introduce CBD legalisation and sales to the Philippines.
AFRICA & MIDDLE EAST
- Israeli cannabis clinical trial shows promise in helping children with autism.
- Wesgro promotes cannabis investing in South Africa by hosting a virtual summit.
- South African High Court pressed to legalise commercialisation of adult-use cannabis.
- Heavy sentences for cannabis users spark a debate in Tunisia.
- South African firm Distell invests in cannabis wellness brand Rethink.