WHO ARE THE MEDICAL CANNABIS PATIENTS IN EUROPE?
The European medical cannabis market is still in its infancy, with much work to be done before patient access catches up to the levels seen in North America. In order to best serve the medical cannabis patient population in Europe, operators need an understanding of who the patients are and why they rely on these medicines.
Prohibition Partners has gathered data for European medical cannabis patients from national government agencies and independent research groups to investigate high-level statistics on patients being prescribed medical cannabis.
TASKFORCE SEEKS BORIS JOHNSON’S SUPPORT TO BOOST UK’S INDUSTRIAL HEMP INDUSTRY
PRESIDENT BIDEN CONFIRMS SUPPORT FOR STATES’ RIGHT TO LEGALISE CANNABIS
- Dutch House of Representatives committee set June date to discuss federal adult-use cannabis legalisation.
- Tilray’s lack of strain information restricts Portuguese medical cannabis prescriptions for patients.
- Medicinal cannabis market in Portugal must be competitive to become more accessible for patients.
- Man with quadriplegia makes first public request for self-cultivation inciting support for therapeutic cannabis in Spain.
- German Green Party leader grows legal cannabis support via campaign launch one day after being elected.
- Dutch government may soon control coffeeshops’ supply lines after appointment of legal cannabis cultivators.
- Ukrainians forced to live in pain or break the law as government delays medicinal cannabis legalisation.
- UK’s first ‘non-synthetic’ CBD products pass FSA’s strict Novel Food validation process.
- Rise of stock-exchange listed firms across legal sector continues as Memery Crystal is bought in £30 million deal.
- First LSE-listed cannabis company MGC Pharmaceuticals acquires Israeli clinical trial specialist.
- Breakthrough for US cannabis companies as House of Representatives approves banking bill.
- Medicinal cannabis legalisation halted as Mississippi Supreme Court allows challenges to vote results.
- Connected Cannabis solidifies national expansion after raising US$30 million to launch ‘designer weed’ brand.
- Law change opens up hemp processing in Washington state though flowers must still be exported to other states.
- Setback for cannabis legalisation in Wisconsin as Senate Majority Leader says it will not happen in the state.
- Cannabis legalisation moves forward as bill passes seventh committee approval in Minnesota.
- Parallel strengthens hold on Texas cannabis market with US$25 million investment in new state-of-the-art facility.
- State-controlled rollout of legalised adult-use cannabis in New York will start this summer.
- Bill seeks to improve access and reduce risk of loans for small cannabis-related businesses.
- TerrAscend doubles dispensary footprint in Pennsylvania following US$63 million additional investment.
- Proposed CBD law in Illinois could benefit cannabis companies at the expense of CBD producers.
- Approval of Nez Perce Tribe’s hemp plan could be landmark moment in expansion of Idaho’s economy.
- Governor of New Jersey vetoes medical cannabis bill which would have disqualified many patients already using it.
- Jushi Holdings strengthens foothold in Ohio cannabis market after acquiring second company in a week.
- Mayor announces blanket pardons for 15,000 cannabis convictions as calls for legalisation grow stronger in Alabama.
- Efforts to legalise cannabis in Virginia progress as governor signs amendments to expedite measures.
- US initiative aims to address critical THC testing process to help hemp growers ensure compliance with federal limit.
Prohibition Partners Co-Founder Stephen Murphy will join Bloomberg Intelligence (BI) for a live webinar to discuss cannabis industry opportunities and challenges across Europe on Wednesday 28 April at 19:00 BST / 14:00 EDT / 11:00 PDT.
BI’s Cannabis Analyst, Kenneth Shea, will chair the discussion. Matt Karnes, Founder of GreenWave Advisors, will provide insight into operational trends in US cannabis production, federal legislation, and market opportunities and risks in the US.
- Restrictions preventing sale of cannabis direct to consumers hurting already struggling Nova Scotia growers.
- Cannabis spending in Canada exceeded C$2 billion in 2020.
- BC Hop Company significantly expands hemp-based food and beverages portfolio with Flow Scientific acquisition.
- Cannabis giants Aphria and Tilray closer to merger after Tilray makes significant changes to company bylaws.
- Lawsuit challenge on Quebec’s prohibition of cannabis-themed products could be a victory for freedom of expression.
- Farmers’ markets support sale of craft cannabis at market stalls.
- Cannabis retail industry sustainability in question as Ontario’s cannabis shop growth rate increases tenfold.
- Health Canada approves US hemp for commercial production opening way for CBD wellness products.
LATAM & CARIBBEAN
- Colombia launches national apprenticeship programme providing training for operators.
- Paraguayan government’s framework for hemp cultivation favours large businesses despite calls to support local growers.
- Peruvian doctor uses cannabis documentary to advocate for wider use of cannabis for cancer patients.
- Colombia can take new attitude to cannabis by allowing its use in the food industry.
- Uruguayan growers concerned as government pushes for more surveillance of cannabis clubs.
- Pivotal moment for legalisation in Argentina as judge prevents police raid on government-registered cannabis grower.
- Postponing discussion on cannabis regulation is a major setback for Mexico and favours illegal drug traffickers.
- Broad report analysing data from Brazil’s cannabis sector could lead to significant development of the industry.
- Brazil continues to soften stance on cannabis as Anvisa authorises two new products for sale in drugstores.
- Cannabis conference in Costa Rica will provide education on the fast-growing industry in Latin America.
- Brazilian congressman expects bill legalising cannabis planting to pass when vote takes place in May.
- Government-led Australian project to optimise hemp production will help improve farming and production.
- Israeli company makes plans to export two tons of medical cannabis into Australia by the end of 2022.
- Survey finds most Australian small-scale growers are motivated by medical needs.
- Tilray shoring up monopoly over New Zealand’s medical cannabis market as fourth product verified under new system.
- Thailand shows cannabis flexibility by allowing cannabis cafe to open next to immigration headquarters.
- Sri Lankan legislator proposes cannabis fix for looming debt crisis.
AFRICA & MIDDLE EAST
- Landmark moment as Lesotho cannabis cultivator lands Africa’s first approval to sell to the EU.
- Ghana’s Rastafari Council calls for action on regulatory frameworks to make current cannabis legislation functional.
- Africa’s failure to legalise cannabis means close to 90% of homegrown product traded on the illicit market.
- University launches new initiative aimed at compelling the South African government toward cannabis legislation reform.
- Prosecutors back off case which could be pivotal in determining the future of adult-use cannabis in South Africa.
- Israeli cannabis legalisation supporters gain new representative as MK devotes part of her inaugural speech to the issue.