International Cannabis Weekly: 198
SCIENCE AND ECONOMICS TO LEAD CHANGE IN EUROPEAN CANNABIS PROHIBITION
Boris Jordan, Executive Chairman and Founder of Curaleaf, told an audience of 1,500+ delegates at Prohibition Partners LIVE this week that he believes significant change is on the way for cannabis in Europe, which will be spurred on by scientific research and economic benefits.
After years of prohibition, Jordan told delegates that in his view it is becoming increasingly clear to governments that cannabis is safe and medically beneficial. He believes that public opinion is also largely in favour of change. Jordan believes the European cannabis market will develop down a pharmaceutical pathway and identifies two further market segments, namely Nutraceutical and Wellness.
PROGRESSIVE LEGISLATION BACK ON THE GLOBAL AGENDA POST-COVID
ACCESS TO CAPITAL CRITICAL FOR GLOBALISATION OF THE CANNABIS INDUSTRY
- Perceptions of cannabis medicines potentially impacted by approach taken with COVID vaccines.
- Public support for medicinal cannabis in Ireland reaches 90%, with adult-use support increasing.
- Dutch company forms a medical cannabis foundation in order to dispel false information.
- Italian hemp stakeholder groups aiming to overturn restrictive production regulations.
- German cannabis company to explore producing cannabinoid from new sources following acquisition.
- Innovative supply chain project aims to establish best practices for Sicily’s hemp industry.
- Adult-use cannabis bill is reintroduced before Luxembourg’s Chamber of Deputies.
CANNABIS EUROPA RETURNS TO THE PHYSICAL STAGE THIS NOVEMBER IN LONDON
At long last, pioneering international cannabis industry conference Cannabis Europa is returning to a physical event format in London on 10-11 November. Cannabis Europa London will be hosted in a stunning central London venue with an uncompromising approach to COVID-19 safety, and will bring together delegates from all over Europe to shape the future of medical cannabis.
- Alabama governor signs medical cannabis bill into law, excluding edibles, smokeables and vaping products.
- Governor of Montana signs landmark legislation to legalise adult-use recreational cannabis programme.
- Curaleaf US$67 million acquisition secures one of US’s largest outdoor cannabis cultivation facilities.
- Republican senate leader stalls medical cannabis legalisation vote in South Carolina.
- Cannabis dispensary employees in San Diego unionise to establish industry standards for cannabis industry workers.
- Michigan regulatory reform committee unanimously approves proposed bills to regulate THC-like substance Delta-8.
- UC San Diego Health moves forward with the first cannabis trial to research cannabis as a treatment for migraines.
- The DEA looks at expanding cannabis access and production for research.
- HEXO’s C$50 million acquisition of 48North solidifies its position in the Canadian cannabis market.
- Aurora Cannabis moves to Nasdaq after COVID hits Canadian market hard.
- Boston Beer Company introduces a subsidiary to enter the non-alcoholic cannabis beverage market.
- Opening of cannabis stores advances Fire & Flower’s expansion in British Columbia.
LATAM & CARIBBEAN
- Argentinian government discusses cannabis medicine training for medical and health professionals.
- Colombia’s Flora Growth completes UK expansion with its first shipment of products.
- Puerto Rico to protect medical cannabis patients who are on probation from punishment.
- Colombia’s offering of state-provided medical cannabis fuels significant revenue growth for Khiron.
- Argentina’s first national cannabis seed institute waiting on Ministry of Health sign-off.
- Specialised German cannabis harvester now available in Latin America for revolutionary cultivation.
- Argentinian initiative will provide a regulatory framework for medical cannabis production.
- Jamaican minister backs farmers to help meet country’s increasing demand for cannabis.
- Japanese government softens anti-drugs stance with approval of cannabis-derived medicines.
- Greenfern Industries uses hydroelectric power station to power its medical cannabis and hemp facility.
- China approves patent on CBD formula for the treatment of pulmonary hypertension.
- Bod Australia’s new cannabigerol products sold exclusively to select UK healthcare professionals.
- University of Adelaide will conduct a study on the effects of medical cannabis on cancer therapy symptoms.
- Botanix’s synthetic CBD formulation demonstrates improvement in skin conditions in canine trials.
- Australian Bioarc and Sante Laboratories partner to develop therapeutic cannabis products.
- Creso Pharma creates CBD livestock product to address stress and improve well-being in pigs.
AFRICA & MIDDLE EAST
- Moroccan cannabis growers to receive amnesty, with proposed bill authorising medical and industrial cannabis.
- Rastafarians petition Kenyan government to allow cannabis consumption on religious grounds.
- South Africa’s long-awaited cannabis master plan to be presented to stakeholders imminently.
- Medical cannabis use in Israel is increasing as number of users reach record figure.
- Israeli start-up aims to make medical cannabis production and distribution more transparent.
- Nigerian national assembly set to discuss cannabis legalisation.
On the global cannabis industry
International Cannabis Weekly newsletter brings you the most important developments, news and informed commentary on the global cannabis industry. Join our community of 70,000+ subscribers.