International Cannabis Weekly: 201
ADULT-USE CANNABIS LEGALISATION BILL BROUGHT BEFORE PARLIAMENT IN PORTUGAL
Two political parties in Portugal, the Left Bloc and Liberal Initiative, each proposed the legalisation of adult-use cannabis during a parliamentary debate on Wednesday, 9 June. Both bills will now be sent to the Health Committee. Over a period of 60 days, public hearings can be made, amendments presented and negotiations carried out before the deciding vote occurs in Parliament – which could take place in September.
Both parties have essentially proposed that the cultivation, distribution, purchasing, possession and consumption of adult-use cannabis be legalised. ‘Self-cultivation’ for personal use would also be allowed if either bill is approved.
GERMANY MAY BE FIRST TO FULLY-LEGALISE CANNABIS IN EUROPE
MOROCCO PASSES CANNABIS CULTIVATION LEGISLATION
- Prescribed medical cannabis use in Luxembourg has almost tripled since 2019.
- Italian activists use legal cannabis plants to reignite legalisation debate.
- Italy’s health ministry publishes cannabis cultivation guidance, but farmers still face criminal proceedings.
- Tenacious Labs continues cannabis company acquisitions and plans to list on NASDAQ.
- Khiron takes receipt of the company’s largest-ever medical cannabis shipment.
- Macedonia’s NYSK Holdings enters partnership with Luxx Lighting and Athena Products to supply its cultivation facility.
- UK regulator threatens future of CBD industry as failed applications mount.
- Front Range Biosciences partners with Spanish agricultural genetics experts to explore cannabis breeding.
- Marketing of CBD-based natural extracts as foods possible as Czech bill advances.
THE FUTURE OF SOCIAL EQUITY AND JUSTICE IN EUROPE
At Prohibition Partners LIVE last month, an expert panel explored how a legal cannabis industry in Europe could look with a socially focused approach. What can Europe learn from the promising steps already being made in North America?
Watch and read insights from panellists as they take a deep dive into what must be done to create an equitable industry in Europe. Panel members include: Sunny Hundal (journalist at The Guardian and The Independent), Al Harrington (former NBA player and founder of Viola Inc.), Niamh Eastwood (executive director of Release), Aras Azadian (CEO of Avicanna) and Cyrus Engerer (MEP for Malta).
- Colorado advocates for hemp producers with calls for additional revisions to the Domestic Hemp Production Program.
- The NFL pledges US$1 million in order to undertake further research into the effects of CBD on pain.
- Governor of Louisiana reviews smokable cannabis bill under the cannabis programme.
- Jushi continues nationwide expansion with the opening of its 12th Pennsylvanian dispensary.
- Mississippi court receives severe backlash after it blocks popular medical cannabis initiative.
- Trulieve Cannabis deepens West Virginia presence with Solevo Wellness acquisition.
- Connecticut Senate approves cannabis bill however House Republicans state it should be made to wait.
- Private investment firm’s US$125 million trust a boon for established cannabis businesses.
- Curaleaf partners with Rolling Stone magazine for new line of cannabis products.
- Cannabis consumption lounges given green light as Nevada Governor signs regulatory bill.
- Red White & Bloom raises US$44.5 million to fuel Florida and Michigan expansions.
- Illinois has seen its cannabis sales almost double since mid-2020.
- Canada House Wellness Group patients to receive unique cannabis strain following partnership.
- Tilray widens customer pool with launch of cannabis brand with lower price point.
- Cronos Group collaboration set to accelerate company’s commercialisation of cannabinoids at scale.
- Flora Growth expands European presence with strategic Hoshi International partnership.
- Valens company further solidifies market position with Verse Cannabis partnership.
- Auxly sells C$15 million in shares to finance continued growth initiatives and expand its product portfolio.
SECURE EARLY BIRD TICKETS FOR CANNABIS EUROPA LONDON – LIMITED AVAILABILITY
Let’s Push Things Forward at Cannabis Europa London on 10–11 November. The exclusive event has a limited number of tickets available, with Early Bird Tickets, which are now on sale – for a limited period only.
LATAM & CARIBBEAN
- Jamaica plans to approve cannabis cultivation in order to compete in the booming industry.
- Cannabis companies look to Ecuador as sun and soil type are ideal for cannabis production.
- GreenCare requests approval to market company’s first cannabis product in Brazilian pharmacies.
- Kelab Analitica becomes first accredited cannabis lab in Colombia.
- Argentina takes another step towards providing public production of medicinal cannabis.
- Legal growers suffering from Argentina’s failure to properly train police on cannabis laws.
- Brazilian commission approves medical cannabis cultivation bill making senate review possible.
- Demand for ECS Botanics’ cannabis products in Australia leads to a jump in sales.
- NeutriSci International ships a rush order to Japan to meet growing demand for CBD health products.
- Elixinol Wellness and Health House International unite to bring medical cannabis formulations to Australia.
- Turkish researchers hope promising harvest results will spark hemp resurgence.
- Hemp Mongolia aims to kickstart country’s hemp industry.
- Expansion of distribution agreement will see Creso Pharma products available in Ecuador.
- Zelira Therapeutics plans first-of-its-kind study on cannabis for treating pain in athletes.
- Thai renewable energy company plans major investment in shift to cannabis production.
- China adds synthetic cannabinoids to the prohibited substances list, effectively banning them.
AFRICA & MIDDLE EAST
- Israel’s Panaxia Labs to start selling medical cannabis in Greece via Leriva Group.
- South Africa’s CBD Pharma is to become Africa’s first contract cannabis farmer.
- Israeli cannabis production giant Bezalet announces Canadian manufacturing partnership.
- Fluence increases Israeli cannabis industry foothold through REMY partnership.
- Israeli cannabis company IMC announces import of premium Canadian cannabis strains.
- Ghana initiates processes to legalise cannabis cultivation under licence.
- Silverleaf investment paves ways for South African cannabis exports to Australia.
- Medical cannabis use rising in Israel with 1% of the population holding a licence.
On the global cannabis industry
International Cannabis Weekly newsletter brings you the most important developments, news and informed commentary on the global cannabis industry. Join our community of 70,000+ subscribers.