International Cannabis Weekly: 202
UK GOVERNMENT TASKFORCE CALLS FOR OVERHAUL OF MEDICAL CANNABIS REGULATIONS
A new report published this week by senior advisors to UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson calls for medicinal cannabis to be regulated by the UK’s Department for Health and Social Care – not the Home Office. Regulations would therefore see a shift in focus from criminal justice to public health.
Current Home Office rules mean consumers are reliant on imported CBD products, with the UK therefore “losing out on a £1 billion industry,” the report states.
ARGENTINA DRAFTS REGULATORY FRAMEWORK FOR CANNABIS
THC CONTENT OF ILLICIT CANNABIS IN EUROPE AT ALL-TIME HIGH
- France’s very first prescription cannabis experiment is underway with 325 patients included.
- Flora Growth to make substantive addition to brand portfolio with Heimat acquisition.
- Spanish workers’ union accuses government of stalling over authorisation of cannabis cultivation.
- Opposition party claims the Irish government is deliberately obstructing hemp-sector development.
- Irish government will cover costs of cannabis-derived treatment for patients with hard-to-treat epilepsy conditions.
- German firm receives largest investment for a European cannabis start-up.
- Cannovum AG expands medical cannabis portfolio with addition of synthetic cannabinoid.
- Little Green Pharma secures five-year medicinal cannabis deal with Polish company Medezin.
CANNABIS AND THE TOBACCO SUBSTITUTE MARKET IN EUROPE
The European landscape is changing rapidly, with the tobacco substitute market representing a huge opportunity. Could tobacco substitutes be another step towards legalisation in Europe? And why, specifically, is Belgium leading the way towards wider change?
Join Prohibition Partners CEO, Stephen Murphy, alongside Always Pure Organics’ CEO, Gavin Ogilvie, and NexGen’s CEO, Joeri Perneel, for an open discussion around the European cannabis industry’s next potential hot potato.
- Columbia Care closes US$240 million Green Leaf acquisition.
- Expansion of Ohio’s medical cannabis programme continues with three new conditions added.
- Voters to decide on medicinal cannabis and cannabis decriminalisation bills in Wyoming.
- Campaigners making progress with cannabis decriminalisation in West Virginia and South Carolina.
- Authorising hemp as animal feed unlocks market opportunities for rural Montana communities.
- Financial support programmes to lower medical cannabis costs approved in New Jersey.
- Bill signed by governor will expand Texas’ limited medical cannabis programme.
- Cannabis legalisation bill advances in Rhode Island for first time after senate approval.
- Columbia Care continues rapid growth with US$42 million Medicine Man acquisition.
- Good Hemp to increase processing and wholesale capabilities with Sacred Leaf acquisition.
- Ionic Brands expands Oregon market reach with acquisition of Oregon Processing Solutions.
- DSM Venturing invests US$31.9 million in Brains Bioceuticals to consolidate its position in CBD sector.
- TerrAscend expands product portfolio with Maryland launch of Kind Tree brand.
- Cronos Group acquires PharmaCann to capitalise on US cannabis market’s rapid growth.
- Pandemic causes legal cannabis market surge in Quebec while black market struggles.
- Canada House to be exclusive provider of MTL Cannabis products for medical patients.
- Veridia USA chooses Leviathan as primary supplier of CBD crude hemp oil.
- Greenway Greenhouse Cannabis seeks milestone Canadian Securities Exchange listing.
- Blue Sky Hemp Ventures to bolster hemp oil and CBD production facilities.
LATAM & CARIBBEAN
- Argentina approves university studies to discover best cannabis strain for medicinal use.
- Apollon Formularies to expand patient treatment programme using Jamaican cancer facility.
- Ecuador aims for rejuvenation of rural communities with cannabis flowers for buds exchange.
- Supply agreement with cannabis company sees Clever Leaves enter Mexican market.
- NetCann strengthens position as leading certified medical cannabis producer in Latin America.
- Argentinian veterinarians implore President Alberto Fernández to include them in Reprocann cannabis registry.
- Japanese company Yamato Green faces tough legal battle over cannabis cultivation ambitions.
- Development of South Korea’s CBD beauty market fuels hemp skincare-brand launch.
- South Korea’s first batch of medical cannabis earmarked for child epilepsy medications.
- Indian cannabis industry’s first mover secures landmark partnership with Spring Sciences Australia.
- Successful US dual-listing gives Creso Pharma direct access to the North American cannabis market.
- Construction of the world’s largest cannabis facility begins in Toowoomba, Australia.
- Bod Australia is set to expand into the UK market after signing an exclusive deal with CBII brands.
- Bhutan government cites lack of expertise as cause of cannabis legalisation delay.
AFRICA & MIDDLE EAST
- Departmental limitations and conflicting ideologies behind South Africa’s cannabis policy framework.
- One of Israel’s oldest cannabis companies supports global expansion with decade of patient data.
- Israel to begin discussing cannabis legalisation after the election of its new prime minister.
- Important step for Amatheon Agri as Zimbabwe’s health ministry approves medical cannabis cultivation.
- Israel’s Supreme Court justices are divided over the severity of cannabis offences.
- Israeli medical cannabis innovation hub will offer entrepreneurial and incubator programmes for start-ups.
On the global cannabis industry
International Cannabis Weekly newsletter brings you the most important developments, news and informed commentary on the global cannabis industry. Join our community of 70,000+ subscribers.