International Cannabis Weekly: 208
AVAILABLE NOW: THE CANNABIS EXTRACTION REPORT
The emerging extraction industry is proving to be one of the most active areas of innovation and growth in the cannabis industry. The Cannabis Extraction Report takes a look at this rapidly-growing and diversifying industry, analysing methods of extraction, types of extracts and extract-based products, technology, supply chain, regulations, and the current state of the market.
Extraction is core to making cannabis more mainstream, as well as being a key point of transition for more traditional industries. In particular this is essential reading for the Pharma, CPG, Health, Wellness and Industrial sectors.
The Report features interviews with leading experts in the extraction industry and sponsors of the report, including: Andrew Megahy, Chief Scientific Officer at Always Pure Organics, Benjamin Britton, Founder & CEO at PurePressure, and Joel Sherlock, Chairman & Co-Founder of Vitalis Extraction Technology.
SPANISH CANNABIS CLUBS OUTLAWED AFTER SUPREME COURT OVERWRITES LOOPHOLES
NEW YORK’S ALBANY AIRPORT TO STOP SEIZING CANNABIS AFTER CHANGE TO REGULATIONS
- Italian pharmacists who ship cannabis-based preparations may face criminal charges due to unclear regulations.
- Cannabinoid products extracted from non-cannabis plants may be sold in countries with harsh cannabis laws.
- Gibraltar prepares legislation to allow the import, export, production and supply of medical cannabis.
- Meetings to form regulatory frameworks for the medical cannabis and industrial hemp industries in Spain.
- Italy experiences medical cannabis supply problems, leaving patients without possible treatment options.
- LYPHE Group’s new medical cannabis platform enables patients to access specialist doctors in Switzerland.
- Kanabo looks to German market after its purchase of Materia Ventures brand.
- Cannexpor receives €2.8 million grant after demonstrating great economic growth value for Portugal.
- The Netherlands subsidises a four-year study into cannabis for epilepsy in treatment-resistant children.
- The new Luz Verde Cannabis Party aims to push forward the legalisation of adult-use cannabis in Spain.
- Largest European medical cannabis bulk sale transaction is made by Flowr Corp from its outdoor Portuguese facility.
- British American Tobacco looks to the cannabis industry as a promising opportunity for future growth.
CANNABIS INDUSTRY COUNCIL CHAIRMAN PROFESSOR MIKE BARNES TALKS DRIVING CHANGE IN CANNABIS
The newly launched Cannabis Industry Council (CIC) has brought together disparate organisations, working groups and businesses with the aim of driving meaningful change within the UK’s medical cannabis and CBD sector.
Writing exclusively for BusinessCann, the CIC’s chairman, Professor Mike Barnes, talks about the organisation’s goals and growing membership base, opening dialogue with the UK Home Office, and steering the 1.4 million daily medicinal cannabis users in the UK away from the illicit market.
- North Carolina’s medical cannabis bill passes the Senate Finance Committee with the aim of passing into law this year.
- The USADA supports the liberalisation of cannabis in sports, following Sha’Carri Richardson’s doping ban.
- Verano expands Nevada distribution after its US$29 million acquisition of Sierra Well dispensaries.
- Georgia board approves six companies for the sale of cannabis to medical cannabis patients.
- Idaho plans to submit its hemp programme to the USDA in September, accepting licence applications in October.
- Vertosa to study the bioavailability of emulsified cannabinoids in particular product formats.
- New Mexico prepares for first adult-use cannabis sales, with a supply rupture expected within the first week.
- Clever Leaves to commence a DNA sequence variance study on cannabis cultivars.
- Washington State to certify hemp extracts for food and beverages that are for sale in other US states.
- Billionaire Charles Koch contributes US$25 million to influence criminal-justice reform and legalisation of cannabis.
- Regenerative Cannabis Live! successfully debuts virtual event focusing on sustainable development of cannabis.
- Tilray reports US$36 million profit, and share prices rise 25% after its recent merger with Aphria.
- Flora Growth announces partnership with Avaria Inc., with intention to access the Latin American market.
- AgraFlora Organics International announces name change to Agra Ventures Ltd.
- North Grenville creates new zoning rules for cannabis facilities, with bylaws passed unchanged.
- Actor Seth Rogen’s cannabis company Houseplant and Canopy Growth conclude their strategic joint venture.
- Pure Extracts receives amended licensing from Health Canada to permit the sale of cannabis extract products nationwide.
- Alberta Hemp Alliance receives C$300,000 from the Canadian Agricultural Partnership to strengthen the sector.
- Gage Cannabis brings US dispensary chain Cookies through their partnership promising unique flower genetics.
BUSINESS OF CANNABIS: NEW YORK
Early Bird Ticket sales for Business of Cannabis: New York end next week. Join the most influential business, finance and political thought leaders for a day-long programme of knowledge-sharing and networking on 29 September in New York City. Save up to 25% by purchasing an Early Bird Ticket before midnight on Thursday, 5 August.
LATAM & CARIBBEAN
- Paraguay makes the first Latin American hemp food export to Europe of 20 tons of organic hemp seeds.
- Argentina commences its research into the effects of medicinal cannabis on pain associated with cancer.
- Brazilian Congressman urges industrial hemp and medical cannabis legislation in order to boost the economy.
- Ecuadorian CannAndes becomes the first company to harvest the first legal cannabis in Ecuador.
- Legislation for adult-use cannabis presented before parliament in Belize.
- Argentina to begin identifying and registering cannabis varieties, to promote medical and industrial use of cannabis.
- Colombia’s decision to allow the export of cannabis will provide greater access to international medical cannabis patients.
- Cannabis medical training certification now offered in Spanish in order to better aid prescribing physicians worldwide.
- Argentina is seeing a rise in grow shops, with over 200 new businesses launched since the beginning of the pandemic.
- Research by Sydney University found the entourage effect helped in delivering 14 times more cannabinoid concentrations.
- Cann Group looks to raise another A$20 million to boost production and manufacturing capabilities.
- Philippines’ president Rodrigo Duterte may face prosecution by the International Criminal Court for his war on drugs.
- ECS Botanicals sees stock shares rise following A$4.5 million supply deal with Polish company Alivio Spolka.
- Research indicates hemp can aid energy and digestion in sheep and is a promising option as livestock feed.
- Compass Cannabis cites market growth for investing in Australian Compass Lifestyle Clinics.
AFRICA & MIDDLE EAST
- IM Cannabis expands into Israel with C$4.6 million acquisition of multiple Israeli companies.
- Israel launches first medical cannabis app helping patients and families receive assistance from professionals.
- Legislation for adult-use cannabis blocked in the Knesset by the opposition party.
- South Africa hemp varieties unable to be registered until the difference between hemp and cannabis is defined.
- Craft Cannabis TV, promoting cannabis education, signs deal expanding its broadcasting reach across Africa.
On the global cannabis industry
International Cannabis Weekly newsletter brings you the most important developments, news and informed commentary on the global cannabis industry. Join our community of 70,000+ subscribers.