International Cannabis Weekly: 213
THE PHARMACEUTICAL CANNABIS REPORT: 2ND EDITION – AVAILABLE NOW
The use of cannabinoids in the treatment of medical conditions offers major opportunities and challenges to anyone operating in the space.
Research on the endocannabinoid system is one of the most promising avenues for new therapeutics in medicine at the moment; however, regulations are constantly shifting beneath the feet of operators, and their ability to serve patients depends on their capacity to navigate a changing landscape of governance.
The Pharmaceutical Cannabis Report: 2nd Edition will give you a deeper understanding of the pharmaceutical cannabis market, the potential challenges and opportunities, key trends in the global market, the market authorisation process for pharmaceutical cannabis products, and successful pharmaceutical companies in the cannabis space.
USDA LAUNCHES NATIONAL SURVEY OF HEMP FARMERS TO INFORM HEMP AND CANNABIS POLICY REFORM
BILL PASSES PANAMA’S NATIONAL ASSEMBLY IN UNANIMOUS VOTE TO REGULATE MEDICAL CANNABIS
- A UK university initiative receives government funding to help develop the hemp agriculture industry.
- Hanf Farm’s managing director leads a court challenge to legalise CBD flower in Germany.
- Luxembourg sources €3 million worth of medical cannabis from Canadian cannabis company Tilray after shortage.
- GenCanna acquires CBD Capital, increasing its European portfolio and market reach.
- Executive Chair of the Cannabis Industry Council urges the UK government to remove cannabis restrictions.
- German hemp food supply chain given €800,000 by government to meet demand for plant-based foods.
- Lidl in Ireland and Northern Ireland removes hemp products due to concerns over levels of THC.
- CTerrAscend increases its portfolio further by acquiring Gage Cannabis, worth US$545 million in stocks.
- US court dismisses case to reschedule cannabis under Controlled Substances Act, but it foresees future policy changes.
- Governor Gavin Newsom drops support for a Californian bill that would designate hemp extract as not for consumer use.
- Kansas gives hemp farmers leeway for processing and testing their hemp with new amendments.
- CBD Life Sciences prepares to open its own grow facility in Arizona after it secures a hemp production licence.
- Amazon to stop testing prospective delivery staff for cannabis, to increase applications after driver shortages.
- Colorado governor urges Senate to move on cannabis banking and tax reform before ending cannabis prohibition.
- Florida’s Agriculture Commissioner urges Senate leaders to make cannabis reforms allowing further access to hemp farmers.
- Texas to expand its medical cannabis programme to include patients with post-traumatic stress disorder.
- HempRise’s Indiana CBD processing facility, with 3.5-ton annual processing capability, to be functional by October.
LEAFLY ANNOUNCED AS HEADLINE SPONSOR FOR BUSINESS OF CANNABIS: NEW YORK
Leafly, the world’s most trusted destination for discovering and ordering cannabis products, has been confirmed as the headline sponsor for the Business of Cannabis: New York summit on 29 September.
The partnership comes after a busy period for Leafly’s executive team, during which time the Washington-based cannabis technology firm announced its intentions to go public through a SPAC merger with Merida Merger Corp., in a deal worth a reported US$532 million. Leafly CEO Yoko Miyashita has also been confirmed as a speaker at the Business of Cannabis: New York summit.
- Hollister Biosciences records Q2 revenue for 2021 as having more than doubled from the previous year.
- Global Hemp Group secures land to create a Hemp Agro-Industrial Zone using hemp-based materials.
- High Tide continues its growth in Ontario, after opening a new Canna Cabana store in Brampton.
- Canadian study finds no increase in traffic-related injuries after the legalisation of adult-use cannabis.
- Valens to acquire Citizen Stash Cannabis for C$54.3 million in an all-shares-based transaction.
- Boston Beer Co. partners with Entourage to create CBD-infused non-alcoholic beverages for the Canadian market.
- New Brunswick cannabis producers have the option to sell products on-site, in a bid to boost tourism opportunities.
LATAM & CARIBBEAN
- Uruguayan cannabis start-up doubles its cannabis investments to focus on the Latin American consumer market.
- Mexico to establish rules for the cannabis market in the next legislative session after years of missed court deadlines.
- Argentina to research the medicinal use of cannabis for health issues not addressed by conventional treatments.
- Khiron Life Sciences has two CBD-based products registered as medical products in Peru.
- The Bahamas’ Progressive Liberal Party promises a comprehensive regulatory framework for the cannabis industry.
- Demand for access to cannabis in Brazil could increase 151% in 2021, prompted by more access to information.
- Study finds 64% of Uruguayan medical
professionals would recommend medical cannabis to patients.
- Medicinal cannabis costs in Brazil to be covered under new cannabis legislation for patients who cannot afford it.
LET’S PUSH THINGS FORWARD AT CANNABIS EUROPA LONDON
Cannabis Europa London will deliver cutting-edge knowledge from senior government officials, leading scientific experts and some of the most influential businesses in the industry. Navigate the European cannabis market by connecting and collaborating with industry leaders and regulators.
Meet the right people to help expand your business, share insights and innovations, and establish Europe as the leading region for global cannabis. Join major institutions who attend, such as the European Parliament, JP Morgan, Unilever, Heineken, Barclays and the British Government.
- Australian university to study the effects of cannabis decriminalisation on cannabis users in the Australian Capital Territory.
- Creso Pharma and Red Light Holland call off proposed merger, to list on the NASDAQ as separate entities.
- NZ Organic Genetics begins a NZ$4 million crowdfunding round to build an EU GMP certified facility in Auckland.
- Hempsi lands a CBD oil export contract with a South Korean retailer, supplying 220,000 units per year.
- Nepal establishes its first hemp research institute, encouraging sustainable industrial and economic growth.
AFRICA & MIDDLE EAST
- Labour federation Cosatu calls for cannabis decriminalisation, to boost the economy and ensure industry standards.
- Majority of Nigerian lawmakers against cannabis legislation, though Ondo’s state governor pushes for reform.
- South African FarmaGrowers completes first export of GMP certified medical cannabis to Australia.
- Non-profit cannabis organisation Fica aims to reinvigorate and transform the South African cannabis industry.
- South African company Cilo Cybin obtains licences to grow and manufacture cannabis for local and export markets.
- Israeli cannabis company InterCure lists on the NASDAQ.
On the global cannabis industry
International Cannabis Weekly newsletter brings you the most important developments, news and informed commentary on the global cannabis industry. Join our community of 70,000+ subscribers.