BUSINESS OF CANNABIS: NEW YORK – UP TO 25% OFF FOR ICW READERS
For a limited time only, we’re pleased to be able to offer International Cannabis Weekly readers an exclusive discount on Business of Cannabis: New York tickets. You can save up to 25% when you purchase two tickets.
Group ticket discounts are also available. You can get four tickets for the price of three using our popular multi-ticket discount – a saving of $795. The exclusive summit takes place on 29 September at the iconic Rainbow Room, Rockefeller Center.
TERMINALLY ILL PATIENTS IN CALIFORNIA WILL BE ABLE TO ACCESS CANNABIS IN HOSPITALS
THE PERFECT MATCH: IS CANNABIS THE FUTURE FOR BIG TOBACCO FIRMS?
- Guernsey kick-starts the island’s cannabis industry allowing the submittance of cannabis licence applications by locals.
- Canadian company Materia is awarded a medical cannabis research and production licence for its Maltese grow site.
- Cannabis activists plan their third march against regulations restricting access to medical cannabis in Ireland.
- Swiss city of Zurich to launch a pilot cannabis project researching its adult-use cannabis market.
- Industrial hemp bill passes Czech Republic’s lower house that would increase its legal THC limit to 1%.
- Greens party becomes first Finnish parliamentary party to call for the legalisation of cannabis.
- Cannamedical begins a 500-patient study to understand the effects of cannabinoids for pain treatment.
- Western cannabis industry trends show a lean toward extracts, pharmaceuticals and oils over raw flower products.
- The World Anti-Doping Agency announces it will undertake a scientific review of its ban on cannabis for athletes.
- New York City reports 95% fewer cannabis-related offences after adult-use cannabis legalisation.
- The University of Michigan finds daily cannabis use among full-time college students increased 7.9% in 2020.
- South Dakota begins its 2021 harvest of 1,600 acres of hemp, the majority of which is grown for grain and fibre.
- Greenlane Holdings completes merger acquisition of Kushco Holdings.
- Alabama Medical Cannabis Commission asks for a law revision that will allow cultivators to start planting earlier.
- Jushi Holdings enters the Massachusetts market after it completes a US$90 million acquisition of Nature’s Remedy.
- The Native American Cannabis Alliance brings cannabis farming to indigenous farmers in Oklahoma.
WEBINAR: THE JAPANESE CANNABIS MARKET – 21 SEPTEMBER
Cannabis has a long history in Japanese culture as a sacred medicine and important crop. Fast forward to 2021, things look a little different. What is the current regulatory framework in Japan? How does the future look for this potentially exciting emerging market? What are the next big industry opportunities?
Hosted by Prohibition Partners and Always Pure Organics, this webinar features experts on the market in Japan and will explore the opportunities around cannabis, hemp and CBD in the region. Join us LIVE on 21 September 13:00 BST / 14:00 CEST.
- FSD Pharma’s planned acquisition of Lucid Therapies to support research into neurodegenerative diseases.
- A Canadian–Israeli company invests €16 million into Portugal’s Alentejo region in order to begin cannabis cultivation.
- Canadian Securities Exchange announced as official sponsors for Business of Cannabis: New York event.
- Fire & Flower completes acquisition of two cannabis technology companies: Wikileaf and PotGuide.
- High Tide continues its Canadian expansion with the opening of its new Manitoba retail store.
- Calls have been made to increase safety measures at Canadian cannabis retail stores after multiple store thefts.
LATAM & CARIBBEAN
- The Federal Court gives NGO Abrace four months to adapt to changes to new tougher prescription regulations.
- Argentinian study reports an 80% positive response to CBD used for paediatric patients with refractory epilepsy.
- Brazilian edtech company Comece Xah! aims to prepare female entrepreneurs for entry into the cannabis industry.
- Tarkus Pharma Lab becomes first licensed medical cannabis pharmaceutical company in Colombia.
- Brazilian cannabis clinic Gravital continues expansion of clinics after an increase in demand for medical cannabis.
- Uruguay makes plans to open its cannabis industry up to tourists in order to boost the economy.
- PharmaCielo receives confirmation from INVIMA of Colombian phytotherapeutics GMP certification.
VALUATION OF CANNABIS COMPANIES: US VS. CANADA
In advance of Business of Cannabis: New York, Business of Cannabis’s Jay Rosenthal is hosting an online Twitter Spaces conversation with Andrew Udell of TheCannalysts on Wednesday, 22 September at 16:00 EDT / 21:00 BST.
The discussion will be centred around the valuation of cannabis companies in the US and Canada.
- Helius partners with Auckland University for research into improving the absorption and efficacy of cannabis medicines.
- Maribyrnong council, in the city of Melbourne, intends to cultivate, produce and manufacture medical cannabis.
- Cronos Australia to complete a merger acquisition with CDA Health once shareholder approval is confirmed.
- Creso Pharma expands further into Europe with the sale of its hemp seed oil lozenges through Swiss company MHG.
- Always Pure Organics expands into the Asian market with the establishment of its new Japanese base.
- Thai resort launches a cannabis leaf-infused menu citing cannabis’s health benefits as the motivator.
- Kannaway’s subsidiary Medical Marijuana Inc commences operations in Hong Kong after its successful expansion into Japan.
AFRICA & MIDDLE EAST
- The first South African medical cannabis prescription is awarded to a patient for pain.
- The Zimbabwe Industrial Hemp Association begins its campaign to increase THC limits on hemp to 1%.
- Two Namibian cannabis activists file papers challenging the constitutionality of laws prohibiting cannabis.
- Panaxia Labs exits Israel to focus on manufacturing and exporting cannabis products to the European market.