International Cannabis Weekly: 224
NEW GERMAN COALITION GOVERNMENT WANTS TO LEGALISE ADULT-USE CANNABIS
Germany may soon be the next country to join the short list of regions that have approved full legalisation of adult-use cannabis, joining Uruguay, Canada, and a number of US states. The Netherlands and Switzerland will also introduce legalisation on a trial basis in 2022.
A representative of die Funke Mediengruppe, who has spoken to negotiators of the soon-to-be coalitian government, confirmed with Prohibition Partners on Thursday that the prospective coalition will introduce legislation aimed at legalising adult-use cannabis in Germany.
US PRESIDENT JOE BIDEN NOMINATES CANNABIS-PRESCRIBING FDA COMMISSIONER
BRAZILIAN PATIENT MAKES FIRST DRIED CANNABIS FLOWER IMPORT TO TREAT ANXIETY AND DEPRESSION
- A UK patient organisation demands that cannabis be added to the NHS’s drug dictionary to ensure better patient care.
- Belgian manufacturer develops hemp harvester targeted at flax farmers making the switch to hemp.
- HempFlax aims to go energy positive using solar power, while doubling production in its Netherlands facility.
- Medicane enters into strategic partnership with Cantourage to supply Germany with medical cannabis flowers.
- France’s cannabis trial excludes local companies, giving international companies exclusive access to the French market.
- US cannabis companies continue European investment in preparation for European adult-use cannabis legalisation.
- The Irish medical community maintains its hardline stance against Ireland’s medical cannabis programme.
- University of Dusseldorf study finds legalising cannabis could bring €4.7 billion to the German economy.
- The European Union comes back with several points of contention over France’s draft CBD decree.
- Chill Brands focuses on investor relations after seeing a decrease of £180 million in its market value this year.
- French court overturns convictions against KanaVape co-founders after legal battle that saw CBD legalised in France.
- Italian medical institutions continually underestimate patient needs, leaving 44% of patients without access to cannabis.
- Senator Elizabeth Warren writes a letter urging President Biden to pardon non-violent cannabis convictions.
- Montana’s ‘green’ counties predict U-turn for no-voters after seeing revenue from adult-use cannabis legalised in the state.
- Schwazze adds two Colorado dispensaries to its portfolio after acquiring Emerald Fields for US$29 million.
- Indiana Democratic Party mounts push for cannabis legalisation ahead of next year’s state elections.
- Jushi Holdings announces intention to buy Nevada cannabis producer and manufacturer NuLeaf for US$52.5 million.
- Cannabis regulatory company Metrc to provide a track-and-trace programme for patients in US territory Guam.
- Virginia GOP lawmakers express openness to retail adult-use cannabis, to stymie the state’s black market.
- Republican-led States Reform Act would see adult-use cannabis regulated like alcohol, with a 3% tax.
- Oregon’s OLCC begins accepting and processing applications for cannabis licences submitted after its 2018 pause.
- Mississippi’s cannabis legislation is expected after the new year, as the state’s governor blocks progress.
- TerrAscend receives overwhelming shareholder approval of plans to acquire Gage Growth.
- Sundial’s third quarterly report shows increases from same period last year, with net earnings of C$11.3 million.
- Village Farms acquires Québec-based producer, supplier and expert ROSE LifeSciences for C$46 million.
- Heritage signs commercial agreement with Canopy Growth, supplying its first shipment of full-spectrum concentrate.
- Tilray subsidiary Aphria RX completes first harvest of medical cannabis in Germany, using a Canadian mother plant.
- Canadian cannabis companies experience job losses despite government subsidies post-Covid 19.
This week, 140kg of high THC medical cannabis strains were shipped to Poland. This comes at the end of several months where medical cannabis supplies were completely depleted across Poland, leaving thousands of patients without access to their medicines.
Patient advocates say that regulators must do more to support patient access in Poland, by increasing the number of approved products, ensuring the consistency of supply of existing products and increasing affordability e.g. by providing for insurance on medical cannabis prescriptions.
LATAM & CARIBBEAN
- Uruguay looks to offer cannabis tourism through a temporary registration programme.
- Brazilian court authorises association to plant, handle and produce medical cannabis products for patients in the area.
- Brazil begins series of public hearings to expand cannabis research and use for scientific and academic communities.
- Argentina’s congress approves a regulatory framework for the development of the cannabis industry.
- The Malaysian Health Ministry announces it will allow the import and use of medical cannabis for patients with prescriptions.
- Thailand intends to be a world-class cannabis hub with an international medical cannabis research centre.
- A Sri Lankan lawmaker backs cannabis legislation, stating the move would bring economic gain and erase debt.
- Sustainable Nutrition Group has partnered with Australian Plant Proteins to develop hemp seed derived protein products.
- Cannim signs two-year agreement with InhaleRX to offer medical cannabis patients inhalable cannabis products.
- Bombay Hemp Company has raised AU$2 million to expand production and marketing of multiple product ranges.
AFRICA & MIDDLE EAST
- Israeli cannabis petition fails, forcing thousands of cannabis patients to spend more on their prescriptions.
- InterCure recorded a 36% increase in revenue in its third quarterly report with all-time record revenue at NIS 62 million.
- Kanabo reports strong sales which it hopes will help boost revenue after its multi-million-pound losses.
- Israeli cannabis start-up signs cooperative agreement with Hempacco to export products to Mexico and the US.
- Akanda has closed a private placement of over US$5 million for working capital and general corporate purposes.
On the global cannabis industry
International Cannabis Weekly newsletter brings you the most important developments, news and informed commentary on the global cannabis industry. Join our community of 70,000+ subscribers.