International Cannabis Weekly: 231
COULD CZECH REPUBLIC BE EUROPE’S MOST PROGRESSIVE MEDICAL CANNABIS MARKET?
Medical cannabis sales in the Czech Republic increased year-on-year by 63% in 2021. Official figures reveal that a total of 109.4kg of medical cannabis was released to Czech patients last year compared to 66.9kg in 2020, as the country now adopts one of the most broadminded attitudes in Europe towards cannabis legalisation.
The State Agency for Medical Cannabis (SAKL) statistics also reveals that the last three months of 2021 saw the most prescriptions issued, with 5,500 dispensed between October and the end of December.
CLINICAL TRIAL WILL TEST HOW EFFECTIVE CANNABIS IS AS A TREATMENT FOR LONG COVID
THE ICONIC OLD BILLINGSGATE ANNOUNCED AS CANNABIS EUROPA VENUE
- Portugal provides clarity as it updates its rules for growing industrial hemp and medical cannabis.
- The Belgian state must pay €90,000 in damages for incorrectly storing seized CBD flower.
- Kaya Holdings expands its activities in Greece by acquiring 50% of a medical cannabis cultivation facility.
- The adult-use cannabis market in Europe should adopt a similar model to the wine industry, experts say.
- After a two-and-a-half-year break, oil products return to the Danish medical cannabis programme.
- Italy’s decision to hold a cannabis referendum could create a domino effect across the rest of Europe.
- A proposal to legalise cannabis consumption in France is unlikely to be accepted.
- Reakiro CBD food supplements are now stocked in eight pharmacies across Georgia.
- Austin City Council approves plans to decriminalise cannabis as it runs with an activist-led initiative.
- The number of qualified patients for Florida’s medical cannabis programme grows significantly.
- Trulieve will be the exclusive producer and retailer of Connected Cannabis products in Florida.
- A Democrat seeks to introduce legislation that would legalise adult-use cannabis in Maryland.
- New Mexico increase limits for cannabis producers, just three months before adult-use legalisation.
- Federal, state and local officials meet to discuss establishing defined standards for cannabis products.
- A bill to legalise medical cannabis is approved by the Mississippi House of Representatives.
- Delaware officials file a bill that allows adults over 21 to purchase up to an ounce of cannabis.
- Federal and state law enforcement is still probing Missouri medical cannabis licensing.
- Vangst raises US$19 million for its cannabis hiring platform to aid the fastest-growing job sector in the US.
BECOME A SPONSOR OF THE EUROPEAN CANNABIS REPORT: EDITION 7
Sponsorship applications for The European Cannabis Report: Edition 7 are now open. Due for release in March 2022, The European Cannabis Report is Prohibition Partners’ flagship and most-downloaded industry report every year. Put your business in front of the largest B2B audience in cannabis and elevate awareness of your brand across the globe.
Contribute to driving real change, help shape the future of cannabis, and get your business engaged with our global audience of investors, business leaders and regulators.
- West Island Brands announces that RoyalMax Biotechnology will begin cannabis sales in Quebec.
- Endocanna has now entered into a strategic partnership with OMNI Medical Services.
- Quebec sees a boost in vaccination rates after new rules were put in place to enter cannabis stores.
- Canopy Growth partners with Martha Stewart to launch the brand’s CBD-based topicals product category.
- Around 400 kilos of cannabis has been imported from Canada into Israel by Focus Medical Herbs.
- Alternative Medical Products becomes the exclusive distribution partner of Little Green Pharma.
- The British Columbia Indigenous Cannabis programme, which helps local communities, is set to launch.
- The number of cannabis stores in Canada has continued to climb, with 2,967 open as of December 2021.
LATAM & CARIBBEAN
- Biomagistral Pharmaceuticals now has authorisation to dispense cannabis-based herbal medicines.
- Cann Farm has been granted the first Peruvian production licence for the cultivation of cannabis.
- Tarkus Pharma Lab seeks to be the largest exporter of medical cannabis in Colombia.
- Research between Latin American universities seeks the best variety of cannabis for medicinal use.
- All that’s missing is the president’s signature to legalise medical cannabis in Costa Rica.
- A new law guarantees the medical, industrial and scientific use of cannabis in Rio Grande do Norte.
- The Argentine government is ready to introduce a bill to develop the medical cannabis industry.
- The Bahamas’ Minister of Agriculture says the Family Islands are ideal to support the cannabis industry.
- Creso Pharma has made a number of key appointments, including new CEO William Lay.
- The Mauritian cannabis programme begins to take shape as the island plans to legalise medical cannabis.
- Malaysian medical cannabis legalisation is welcomed by the Malaysia Hemptech Association.
- ECS Botanics expects a company record of AU$1.5 million revenue for the final quarter of 2021.
- Roto-Gro partners with CannAcubed as it sets to roll out a cannabis cultivation facility in Thailand.
- The penalty for cannabis possession in Thailand is set to drop from 15 years to a warning.
AFRICA & MIDDLE EAST
- Labat announces a R300 million cash injection from GR Global Ventures in exchange for shares.
- Instadose has entered into a 25-year partnership with Blackbush to supply medical cannabis.
- Failure to organise regulations has hindered communities in Morocco from establishing hemp value chains.
- The US Cannabis Association salutes women cannabis growers in Malawi as it donates five greenhouses.
- Israel cannabis survey details consumption for recreational consumers and medical patients.
On the global cannabis industry
International Cannabis Weekly newsletter brings you the most important developments, news and informed commentary on the global cannabis industry. Join our community of 70,000+ subscribers.