International Cannabis Weekly: 232
POLAND: NEW SUPPLY LEGISLATION REJECTED AS DEMAND FOR MEDICAL CANNABIS CONTINUES TO GROW
Poland is home to one of the largest medical cannabis populations anywhere in Europe, with over 9,261 patients. However, the Polish government’s latest decision to defy legislation that would bolster the national supply of medical cannabis means they are failing to keep up with the growing demand of the populous.
This is the first time the comprehensive data has become available on patient numbers and quantities of medical cannabis being consumed in Poland. In light of this data, Poland is one of the largest markets in Europe, behind Germany and Italy.
CORPORATE GIANT AMAZON BACKS REPUBLICAN-LED FEDERAL LEGALISATION BILL
CANNABIS TO BE REMOVED FROM PROHIBITED DRUGS LIST IN THAILAND
- CBD businesses in the UK anticipate the release of an FSA approved list of cannabinoid products permitted for sale.
- The highest court in France has suspended the government’s efforts to outlaw CBD flowers.
- The UK Food Standards Agency sets a deadline for the submission of data to support CBD Novel Food applications.
- Albanian prime minister Edi Rama asks the public for their opinion on medical cannabis legalisation.
- Demecan has received its EU-GMP certification for its production site located near Dresden, Saxony.
- Regulators need more understanding on the hemp and CBD industry to avoid going down the isolate route.
- The South Dakota Senate has passed a spate of medical cannabis bills but faces opposition from House Republicans.
- New York State expands its eligibility criteria for patients who could benefit from medical cannabis.
- Agrify Corporation enters into a security purchase agreement, selling over 4 million shares of common stock.
- The California Department of Cannabis Control has issued a grant to San Diego’s Cannabis Business Division.
- Mississippi lawmakers are set to vote on the creation of a cannabis programme for those with serious medical conditions.
- Tax revenue from cannabis has exceeded that of alcohol for the first time in Massachusetts.
- The University of Chicago finds evidence that CBD can block infection of COVID-19 in human cells.
- The Arizona Department of Revenue has reported US$196 million was collected in taxes from cannabis sales in 2021.
- Pennsylvanian senators introduce a bill that would allow medical cannabis patients to grow their own plants.
EARLY BIRD TICKET SALES FOR CANNABIS EUROPA LONDON END NEXT WEEK
There are just five days remaining for you to secure Early Bird tickets for Cannabis Europa London – and save up to £200 per ticket.
Join us at the iconic Old Billingsgate venue in London on 28-29 June 2022 for our biggest and most ambitious Cannabis Europa event to date, where our flagship conference will sit alongside a 50-exhibitor expo showcasing the leading brands, people and products shaping the future of the cannabis industry in Europe.
- Statistics Canada reveal that in November 2021 retail cannabis sales increased by 36% year-on-year.
- Latest figures reveal that there are a total of 813 licensed cannabis growers, processors and sellers in Canada.
- High Tide’s retail store Canna Cabana has begun to sell recreational cannabis for adult use.
- Navaya Inc. receives sales licence from Health Canada to sell dried cannabis products across Canada.
- The cannabis extraction market offers investors a strategic and profitable gateway into cannabis.
- Biomed has been granted a licence by an overseas government to cultivate cannabis for medical use.
LATAM & CARIBBEAN
- The Costa Rican government promises to iron out legislation issues around industrial hemp and medicinal cannabis.
- Tarkus Pharma Lab targets Europe, the US and Brazil as it plans to double its production and workforce in 2022.
- This March the first-ever Flipex camp arrives in Argentina to focus on cannabis and green issues.
- Amor Perfecto awaits pending government legislation so it can launch its CBD coffee range.
The Global Cannabis Report: Second Edition provides an overview of the developments in international cannabis markets, and considers how they might develop in the near future. It also covers some of the most interesting and pertinent global trends in the industry.
Data packages available provide country-level breakdown of market sizing forecasts (2021-2026) for global cannabis markets, including medical, adult-use and CBD. Also available for purchase is the most comprehensive collection of real-world data available anywhere in the world.
- Live Verdure, a plant-based food company, signs a deal with TruLife Distribution to enter the US market.
- The Thai Secretary-General pushes bill that will prevent cannabis misuse and instead promote its medicinal benefits.
- The Western Australian Government has issued a grant for Hemp Squared, an alternative hemp building manufacturer.
- Two of New Zealand’s medical cannabis giants join forces to make their mark overseas.
- Rua Bioscience says partnering with a major Australian player will be good for its Maori growers.
- Ora Pharm becomes the first New Zealand cannabis company to export a product on the international market.
- Althea records a record month for medical cannabis sales as the division achieves receipts of AU$1.2 million.
- Little Green Pharma strikes a three-year deal to sell its branded medicinal cannabis oils in Germany.
AFRICA & MIDDLE EAST
- Medical licences have stopped being issued in the Knesset due to problems with suppliers to the Ministry of Health.
- Panaxia announces that it has exported cannabis tablets intended for a French experiment with medical cannabis.
- The Ministry of Health in Israel allows the use of PGR for growing medical cannabis.
- The Green Party are yet to meet with the Zambian government over the export of cannabis for medicinal purposes.
- South Africa’s growing cannabis industry is making major strides as two major players plan for growth.
- King Kong Organics invests US$10 million as it looks to create an African cannabis research hub in Zimbabwe.
On the global cannabis industry
International Cannabis Weekly newsletter brings you the most important developments, news and informed commentary on the global cannabis industry. Join our community of 70,000+ subscribers.