International Cannabis Weekly: 235
APPLE JOINS AMAZON IN ADVOCATING CANNABIS POLICY REFORM
Apple has quietly changed its stance on cannabis reform, joining Amazon on the growing list of global corporations that would like to see a federally legal, commercial cannabis industry in the US.
After years of defiance from large technology organisations, including Facebook and Google, Apple has finally bucked the trend in supporting the sale of medical and recreational cannabis in legal jurisdictions.
ISRAEL CONSIDERS INTERIM LEGALISATION OF RECREATIONAL CANNABIS
THE CANNABIS LICENSING ACT IS NOW WITH THE NEW YORK GOVERNOR TO SIGN
- Plans to legalise adult-use cannabis in Germany are met with reservation by opposition parties and the police.
- European cannabis stocks struggle to make any significant gains as cost-of-living crisis looms.
- Proposed regulatory change in Sweden that restricts hemp components draws criticism.
- Natural resource provider Peel seeks planning permission for a cannabis cultivation facility.
- The UK CBD industry is ‘growing increasingly frustrated by the unprofessional approach of the FSA‘.
- German cannabis start-up Cansativa Group has secured a €13 million investment from Casa Verde.
- An EU-GMP licence has been granted to MediCane Health for its manufacturing plant in Portugal.
- Little Green Pharma has been awarded an Italian government tender to ship medical cannabis.
SXSW 2022: WEED ON THE WORLD STAGE
Globally, there are four major sectors of the cannabis market poised to dominate the worldwide stage: industrial hemp, CBD wellness, medical cannabis and the adult use/recreational market. All of them are intertwined; however, each will develop at a different pace dependent on the culture of the country and region.
In this session, Prohibition Partners CEO Stephen Murphy will join panellists from Weedmaps, Jushi and Poseidon Asset Management to discuss how regulations are predicted to evolve, how they might impact trade and politics, and the friction between industrial, medical and recreational. The panel will also discuss which countries will emerge as cannabis cultivation centres and innovation hubs.
- A government bill has been filed in Wyoming in a bid to decriminalise small amounts of cannabis.
- Los Angeles-based business Cann moves to New York to follow the next big cannabis market.
- Despite confusion, the IRS confirms that medical cannabis is not exempt from tax under federal law.
- Ayr Wellness completes the acquisition of Cultivauna, the owner of Levia branded cannabis infused seltzers.
- Trulieve and Harborside both come to an agreement for separate cannabis acquisitions.
- Senators in South Carolina have voted to approved the use of medical cannabis in the state.
- Canadian cultivator Flora Growth signs a deal to send 3,600 kg of THC flower to Artos Ltd for the Israeli market.
- Tilray says that starting its new division ‘Tilray Medical’ has meant that it can expand its offering in Canada.
- TobaGrown announces that it will donate its profits to the right to self-cultivation in Manitoba.
- Pyxus International announces the completion of the sale of assets of FIGR Norfolk.
- Cannabis drink start-up Cann reveals it has raised C$27 million as it expands its offering in Canada.
- Jones Soda expands into the cannabis sector with the acquisition of Pinestar Gold Inc.
LATAM & The Caribbean
- 27 November will now be known as ‘Cannabis Day’ in Goiania after it was approved by city councillors.
- Cannabis operator PharmaCielo will start supplying its cannabis products to Germany.
- Greenlab releases its collection of NFTs called the ‘space resistance’ which consists of 5,555 unique assets.
- The Bob Marley Museum and former home of the singer is now Jamaica’s most popular tourist attraction.
- CannabCo announces it has procured South America’s most advanced cannabis extraction equipment.
- Canadian firm PharmaCielo confirms that it will enter Argentina to help develop their medical cannabis industry.
- ECS Botanics officially completes its first shipment of dried cannabis flower to the UK.
- Australia’s Creso Pharma has reached the final stage of development for a new hemp-based lozenge.
- Bombay Hemp Company joins forces with Poonthottam Ayurvedasram to offer Asia’s first cannabis wellness retreat.
- Clever Leaves announces the expansion of its relationship with Cannatrek with a new sales agreement.
Africa & The Middle East
- InterCure signs an agreement to acquire multinational cannabis producer Better in a deal worth US$24.7 million.
- Following a year of acquisitions, IM Cannabis is now entering its organic growth stage.
- President Ramaphosa pledges to back the hemp and cannabis industry in an overhaul of the regulatory process.
- Woman of Vision Cannabis Growers has harvested its first ‘gold’ crop in Kasungu district.
- Bull Pharma acquires Telpharma and Green Pharma in a deal worth NIS21 million.
- The North West Government sets up a technical task team to help farmers apply for hemp permits.
On the global cannabis industry
International Cannabis Weekly newsletter brings you the most important developments, news and informed commentary on the global cannabis industry. Join our community of 70,000+ subscribers.