International Cannabis Weekly: 246
EUROPE’S PILOT TRIALS ARE A STEP TOWARDS LEGAL MEDICAL CANNABIS
Underlining the cautious approach Europe is taking to the liberalisation of medical cannabis are the pilot trial access schemes for medical cannabis currently in operation across several European countries, including Denmark, France, Ireland and Luxembourg.
The purpose of these trials is explicitly to investigate the controlled distribution of medical cannabis products in each country and to assess the harms and benefits of such systems in their domestic settings.
NEW YORK APPROVES MORE CANNABIS CULTIVATORS AS IT PREPARES FOR RETAIL SALES
THE GERMAN HEALTH MINISTER MOVES TOWARDS LEGALISING ADULT-USE CANNABIS
- A UK parliamentary group calls on the government for the creation of a new industry body to guide regulation.
- Medical cannabis will be available in pharmacies in Greece this year for those with a prescription.
- Curaleaf announces the successful licensing of its cannabis-based medicine products in Malta.
- Hemp fibre cultivation in Friesland will be scaled up, with an increase from 60 hectares to 225 hectares this year.
- CBD of Denver, a distributor of CBD, expands into the German medical cannabis market.
- Switzerland will start adult-use cannabis sales this summer amid a trial programme that will involve 400 people.
- Cantourage releases a product that will accelerate the dronabinol preparation process
- Medical cannabis from DRAPALIN can now also be ordered via Alliance Healthcare and GEHE.
- Jazz Pharmaceuticals reports Q1 Epidiolex sales decreased by 19% from the previous quarter to US$157.9 million.
- An economic researcher from the University of Paris details how the Italian hemp opportunity is worth €500 million.
- HempStreet agrees a partnership with European bio-pharma company MGC Pharma.
- Guernsey has its sights set on boosting the economy through the legalisation of cannabis.
FULL CANNABIS EUROPA LONDON AGENDA ANNOUNCED
The official agenda for Cannabis Europa London on 28–29 June 2022 has been released and is now available to view.
Join us for an action-packed agenda of first-class panel discussions as we navigate the European cannabis market with industry leaders, policy makers and patient advocates. Let’s push things forward and shape the future of cannabis in Europe.
- The 18 US states that permit the sale of legal cannabis generated US$3.7 billion in tax revenue in 2021.
- The Apple Rush Company announces the acquisition of Wild Organic Ancient Horticulture, a no-till farming operation.
- The Green Guys has become the first CBD company to accept Dogecoin and other cryptos on its site.
- A Floridian Commissioner has said that the state’s hemp programme has seen increasing success as it turns two.
- Ohio cannabis activists have filed a lawsuit to keep legalisation on track for the November ballot.
- Emerald Scientific and GemmaCert enter into a distribution agreement to service the US cannabis and hemp market.
- The 52 New York cultivators who have cannabis growing licences plant initial cannabis crops.
- A lawyer from the Manitoba executive says the province is able to ban the production of home-grown cannabis.
- Nova Scotia’s cannabis industry has seen companies expand, but red tape continues to hamper the sector.
- Halo Collective has filed a long form prospectus with the regulatory authorities in each Canadian province.
- Canadian cannabis sales declined in February, some 2.9% down from the previous month.
- Halo Collective signs a letter of intent to acquire Phytocann Group as it continues to geographically diversify.
- DoorDash Canada agrees to a cannabis ordering and pickup partnership with Superette Dispensaries.
- The Ontario Securities Commission grants cannabis companies a request for confidential information.
- Canadian cannabis company CannTrust changes its name to Phoena, taking inspiration from a plant’s genetic code.
- Entourage offer its medical cannabis patients same-day delivery through agreement with Pineapple Express.
APPLY TO BE A SPONSOR AT BUSINESS OF CANNABIS NEW YORK
Position your brand at the forefront of the North American cannabis industry and get in front of largest B2B cannabis network in the world. Business of Cannabis: New York attracts a diverse and international audience of business leaders and key decision makers from a variety of professional industries.
As New York gears up for cannabis retail sales in September, now is the perfect time to join the cannabis conversation and get in front of key decision makers.
LATAM & The Caribbean
- Cannabis organisations of Cordoba will be present at the World Cannabis March.
- An Argentine minister describes cannabis as ‘an input that will revolutionise the industrial sector in Argentina’.
- Khiron Life Sciences announces its end of year results as it continues to benefit from increased patient awareness.
- Canadian-based company Allied Corp has recently reported that it has authorisation to export to Peru.
- On day three of the Brazilian Congress of Medical Cannabis, there will be a panel entirely dedicated to the subject.
- The Mexican cannabis industry has huge potential, but increasing regulation is holding it back.
- To maximise shareholder value, Elixinol is considering a merger or sale of either the whole company or its business units.
- Bod Australia reports that customer receipts fell by almost 50% to A$647,000 in the three months to March.
- Little Green Pharma has entered into a medicinal cannabis distribution agreement with Sana Life Sciences.
- Ananda Developments announces a number of senior hires, sending its stock price up by 30%.
- After 50 years of prohibition, Nepal is looking to draft cannabis legislation to legalise the plant.
- Releaf Group has agreed to take a majority stake in a planned luxury cannabis wellness retreat.
SPONSORSHIP APPLICATIONS ARE NOW OPEN FOR THE NORTH AMERICAN REPORT
Prohibition Partners’ next report, The North American Report: Third Edition, will explore the continent’s challenges, opportunities, current consumer behaviours and anticipated legislation on both the adult-use and medical sides, as well as sales projections from 2022 to 2026.
There are now unique opportunities to promote your business and brand to the most influential figures in the global cannabis industry: from politics to pharma, and cannabis to consumer-packaged goods. As companies and investors scramble to get a foothold in the market, sponsorship is an invaluable opportunity to put your brand front and centre in one of the industry’s most influential reports.
Africa & The Middle East
- Akanda completes acquisition of Holigen, advancing cannabis leadership position in Europe, the Middle East and Africa.
- Malawi looks to cannabis for profits amid a declining revenue stream from a waning tobacco demand.
- The Gauteng government is prepared to lease state-owned land to promote cannabis cultivation and create jobs.
- InterCure announces that its CEO will participate in the Alliance Global Spring Consumer Cannabis Conference.
- Goodleaf CEO calls for change to Medicines Act as the South African executive creates a new cannabis policy.
On the global cannabis industry
International Cannabis Weekly newsletter brings you the most important developments, news and informed commentary on the global cannabis industry. Join our community of 70,000+ subscribers.