International Cannabis Weekly: 248
WHO ARE THE MEDICAL CANNABIS PATIENTS IN EUROPE?
The relatively close integration of medical cannabis into the European healthcare systems has contributed to a patient population and purchasing patterns distinct from developed markets in North America or indeed developing markets elsewhere in the world.
The medicalised nature of cannabis distribution in Europe means the balance of patients who are using for purely medical purposes rather than mixed medical/adult-use is lower. More familiar product formats such as oils and capsules are more common in Europe than most other medical cannabis markets. Here we provide one of the most comprehensive views on the characteristics of medical cannabis patients and products available anywhere.
MEXICO’S SUPREME COURT MAKES PERSONAL CANNABIS POSSESSION LEGAL
BANGKOK IS SET TO RULE THAT GROWING CANNABIS FOR HOME USE WILL BE LEGALISED
- The German coalition is coming under scrutiny for slow movement on the legalisation of cannabis.
- Portugal hits new record with cannabis exports increasing 600% in 2021 from the previous year.
- The Lithuanian parliament’s Committee on Legal Affairs has proposed to decriminalise the possession of cannabis.
- Poland introduces new regulations, increasing the THC limit from 0.2% to 0.3% in hemp products.
- Cellular Goods has announced a number of board changes since its products were not allowed to be sold in the UK.
- With a strong customer base already formed in Europe, CBD of Denver has now entered the German hemp market.
- Tetra Bio-Pharma Inc.’s cannabidiol-based topical has been classified as an orphan medicinal product by the EMA.
- The first hemp genetics with high levels of CBG has been admitted in the European catalogue.
- Patients are going without medical cannabis in Italy and are asking for emergency authorisation for cultivation.
3 FOR 2 ON CANNABIS EUROPA TICKETS
There are just 6 weeks to go until the global cannabis industry comes together in London for Cannabis Europa; to plot a way forward at what is an incredibly exciting moment for all corners of the sector.
Join investors, entrepreneurs, legislators, advocates and industry leaders for two days of crucial debate & discussion. Meet the people who can drive your business forward and help to shape the future of the European cannabis industry. Secure your seat today and get 3 tickets for the price of 2 for a limited time only.
- A Pennsylvanian Senate candidate is hoping cannabis legalisation will increase votes in the next polls.
- A revised cannabis bill will automatically expunge prior cannabis convictions in Rhode Island.
- Supporters of medical cannabis in Nebraska have launched a legal challenge over the ballot rules.
- Oklahoma lawmakers have closed a medical cannabis loophole that allowed black-market activity.
- Recreational cannabis sales in Arizona have hit record levels after US$72 million worth of sales in March.
- Californian Governor Gavin Newsom has proposed plans to eliminate the cannabis cultivation tax rate.
- A recent poll suggests that seven in ten Joe Biden voters support national cannabis legalisation.
- Columbia Care Q1 revenue has decreased by 12% sequentially to US$123.1 million.
- Since the market launched in 2018, Massachusetts cannabis sales have exceeded US$3 billion.
- Canopy Growth has announced that it has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire Jetty Extracts.
- Rubicon Organics Inc. has announced that it has received its CUMCS Equivalency IMC-G.A.P certification.
- Alberta-based HEMPALTA has received immediate traction with its hemp food preservation pads.
- Franchise Global Health is set to acquire the Target Company, a German pharmaceutical distributor.
- Cannabis tech company WM Technology is launching a payment solution for cannabis retailers in Ontario.
- Icanic Brands Company Inc. has signed a letter of intent to acquire DNA Organics Inc.
- Canada is celebrating Sugar Cane Cannabis, British Columbia’s first farm-to-gate cannabis facility.
- Delta 9 Cannabis Inc. expects to announce revenues of around C$12.5 million for the first 3 months of 2022.
SPONSORSHIP APPLICATIONS ARE NOW OPEN FOR THE NORTH AMERICAN REPORT
Prohibition Partners’ next report, The North American Report: Third Edition, will explore the continent’s challenges, opportunities, current consumer behaviours and anticipated legislation on both the adult-use and medical sides, as well as sales projections from 2022 to 2026.
There are now unique opportunities to promote your business and brand to the most influential figures in the global cannabis industry: from politics to pharma, and cannabis to consumer-packaged goods. As companies and investors scramble to get a foothold in the market, sponsorship is an invaluable opportunity to put your brand front and centre in one of the industry’s most influential reports.
LATAM & The Caribbean
- Colombia is set to host The International Cannabis Forum for Medical, Scientific and Industrial Purposes.
- Trevelin, in the province of Chubut, has become the first town in Argentina to enable growshops.
- Anvisa approves two more cannabis products for medical use with more than 0.2% of THC content.
- Discussions are ongoing between Anvisa and a state deputy in Brazil over adopting a regulatory environment for hemp.
- Morenista officials have urged that there be no penalty for consumers and producers of the cannabis plant.
- In the Argentine province of Jujuy, Cannava has begun harvesting 35 hectares of medical cannabis.
- At the University of Guadalajara, there is set to be a ‘Learn and Decide’ campaign around cannabis education.
- The Beija Flor Clinic in Buzios has taken first place in a state event on cannabinoid therapy.
THE 5TH ANNUAL CANNABIS LAW INSTITUTE IS COMING UP
The Cannabis Law Institute is a wonderful opportunity to learn about the law, policy, and politics of this burgeoning industry, and a great way for attorneys to learn from those engaged in the industry from around the world. The association itself provides resources for lawyers looking to enter into the industry (ethics guidance, support via amicus filings, substantive resources, and more).
You can learn more about INCBA here, see some of INCBA’s resources here, and visit the INCBA CLE Archives here. INCBA is offering Prohibition Partners followers 20% off membership and registration for the Cannabis Law Institute, just use the code PPartners. For more information, please contact INCBA’s Executive Director Christopher Davis at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Incannex Healthcare has completed a purchase agreement to acquire biotech APIRx Pharmaceuticals.
- Research shows that over 85% of the total medical cannabis prescriptions in Australia have been issued since 2020.
- The Emerging Therapeutics Association of Australia – a body representing the cannabis industry – has just launched.
- Little Green Pharma has signed a contract with Four 20 Pharma for the supply of a new THC strain in Germany.
- Cannaponics has announced plans to partner with a Mauritius-based medical cannabis supplier.
- Cannasouth’s first medicinal cannabis products will give wider treatment options to New Zealand patients and prescribers.
Africa & The Middle East
- Despite great Q1 results, Intercure CEO states the lack of supply is preventing the company from doing more.
- An Israeli cannabis company called Search Medical Group has obtained a kosher certification.
- For the first time ever, hemp cannabis seeds were exported from Israel to the United States.
- Panaxia receives license for medicinal cannabis production in Malta following its EU-GMP certificate.
On the global cannabis industry
International Cannabis Weekly newsletter brings you the most important developments, news and informed commentary on the global cannabis industry. Join our community of 70,000+ subscribers.