International Cannabis Weekly: 279
JOIN US AS WE TAKE A LOOK BACK AT 2022 WITH SOME OF THE MOST READ AND INFLUENTIAL NEWS IN THE CANNABIS SECTOR
President Biden’s ‘social justice’ and ‘health-based approach’ is a move towards normalising cannabis as both a medicine and a recreational drug, say experts.
Drug reform experts in the UK and Europe have welcomed a ‘momentous’ decision made by US President Joe Biden on Thursday 7 October, which will ‘undoubtedly’ shift attitudes across the globe.
President Biden announced in a Twitter thread that he would be pardoning thousands of federal offences for simple cannabis possession and was calling on state governors to do the same.
KEY POINTS OF GERMANY’S EARLY REGULATION PROPOSAL LEAKED
SENATE MAJORITY LEADER SAYS THE SAFE BANKING ACT IS CLOSE TO PASSING
- Europe’s first THC adult-use cannabis trial is set to launch in January.
- Two thirds of the Czech Republic support cannabis legalisation.
- Spanish ministry of health drafts a law that will regulate medical cannabis.
- A new bill in Ireland will propose cannabis decriminalisation.
- Germany set to become Europe’s largest legal cannabis market.
- Geneva set to follow Basel and launch a pilot project to legalise cannabis.
- Hundreds of millions of dollars defrauded? The Juicy Fields case in detail.
- New European drugs policy provides platform for cannabis reform.
- New York on track to open first adult-use cannabis stores by end of 2022.
- A round up of business of cannabis: New York.
- Biden says cannabis pardons will not extend to those who sold cannabis.
- The FDA has hired a cannabis research adviser for the first time.
- Apple joins Amazon in advocating cannabis policy reform.
- New York cannabis control board approves the first 36 caurd licenses.
- A new poll reveals that more people use cannabis than tobacco in the US.
- New York set to become the next cannabis mega market.
- North American cannabis stocks fall as federal legalisation progress halts.
- The first legal adult-use cannabis sales begin in New Jersey.
SECURE YOUR CANNABIS EUROPA TICKETS
Cannabis Europa: London returns to the brilliant Barbican Centre on 2–3 May, for two days of industry-defining content, unique networking opportunities and a boutique expo featuring 50 of the industry’s most exciting companies. Participate and stake your claim amidst the ever-expanding European cannabis market at a pivotal moment.
Make sure that you’re at the heart of the European cannabis conversation in May.
- Data released by New Cannabis Ventures indicates High Tide is now Canada’s top revenue-generating company.
- A new cannabis market report from EY says the cannabis industry is in need of change, including government support.
- Statistics Canada reveals that British Columbia cannabis sales hit an all-time high in the month of September.
- The process of legalising adult-use cannabis in Germany draws US and Canadian investment.
- Uber Eats teams up with Leafly to deliver cannabis in Toronto.
To complement the Global Cannabis Report: 3rd Edition, we have two premium packages available. The first is Prohibition Partners’ proprietary market sizing data, which includes country-by-country forecasts of the medical, CBD and adult-use cannabis markets around the globe.
The second package is Prohibition Partners’ proprietary market sizing data, as well as a comprehensive collection of real world data, showing the growth in sales of cannabis globally.
LATAM & The Caribbean
- Japan’s Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare has recommended allowing imports of cannabis for medical use.
- Despite heavy regulations in New Zealand, the cannabis industry is delivering for patients and the economy.
- The Asian Cannabis Report: 2nd Edition Launched in Bangkok.
- Medical cannabis prescriptions double in the last year in Australia.
- Thailand is set to rule that growing cannabis for home use will be legalised.
- Cannabis to be removed from prohibited drugs list in Thailand.
- The first legal import of cannabis has now landed on Australian shores.
Africa & The Middle East
- Israel considers interim legalisation of recreational cannabis.
- According to The African Cannabis Report, the South African cannabis industry is set for huge growth.
- Deputy minister says the cannabis sector shows huge potential for eradicating poverty in South Africa.
- Pro-cannabis presidential candidate wants a medicinal market in Kenya.
- In a new Israeli study, medical cannabis has been found effective in reducing chronic back pain.
- An Israeli company has cloned hemp cells and used a bioreactor to grow cannabis with 12 times the potency.
on the global cannabis industry
International Cannabis Weekly newsletter brings you the most important developments, news and informed commentary on the global cannabis industry. Join our community of 80,000+ subscribers.