International Cannabis Weekly: 281
ITALIAN ARMY PLEDGES TO MORE THAN DOUBLE MEDICAL CANNABIS PRODUCTION THIS YEAR, BUT SUPPLY ISSUES FAR FROM OVER
On December 30, 2022, General Manager of the Defence Industries Agency Nicola Latorre announced in an interview with Defense World that the army planned to increase its production by 75% compared with previous targets in 2023.
This pledge, according to Mr Latorre, was the first step towards achieving self-sufficiency for medical cannabis in Italy, which has been plagued by undersupply issues for years.
EXPERTS DISCUSS CANNABIS SCHEDULING, NEW MARKETS, MATURATION AND MORE
SPAIN MISSES AMBITIOUS MEDICAL CANNABIS ROLL-OUT TARGETS
- In Germany, parliamentary spokesman Professor Andrew Ullmann wants to advance the legalisation of cannabis.
- France’s Council of State has formally lifted a ban on the sale of hemp flowers used to produce CBD.
- Illegal UK cannabis startup Dispenseroo has revealed that many customers are using its products for medical conditions.
- Fyta shows first photos of produced weed and hashish, they are the first images produced by a weed experiment grower.
- The maze of regulatory requirements for cannabis medicinal products In Europe – an impression of scattered regionalism.
- Jazz Pharmaceuticals sues generics makers Teva and more for infringement on cannabis-derived epilepsy drug.
- Royal Queen Seeds launches the first-ever F1 hybrid seeds into the cannabis market.
- Luxembourg Minister of Health declared that she was not sure of being able to legalise cannabis before the end of 2023.
- Texas activists submit signatures to put cannabis decriminalisation, police reform and abortion rights on San Antonio ballot.
- Cannabis sales decreased 2.8% in November compared with October according to BDSA.
- Illinois cannabis sales reached a record high of more than US$1.5 billion in 2022, with December marking the peak.
- All patients undergoing a procedure requiring anaesthesia should be screened for cannabis use.
- Jushi Holdings Inc. has announced appointment of Michelle Mosier as the company’s Chief Financial Officer.
- Maryland lawmakers convened for another cannabis legalisation workgroup meeting on Thursday.
- Iowa’s medical cannabis sales reached US$10.2 million last year, despite only having five dispensaries.
- Google will allow the advertising of hemp and topical CBD products in California, Colorado and Puerto Rico.
GRAB YOUR EARLY BIRD TICKET BEFORE THE END OF JANUARY
This May 2-3, Cannabis Europa returns to the Barbican Centre. Join us for two days of exceptional networking opportunities, industry-defining discussions with genuine decision makers and future predictions for the growing European cannabis industry.
Early Bird ticket offers expire on 31 January.
- In Canada, the legalisation of medical cannabis is associated with a reduction in alcohol sales.
- Expert says Manitoba’s budding cannabis industry might be entering its next phase after growing over the last five years.
- Health Canada will study the effects of different cannabinoids that recreate the effect of delta-9-THC.
- Data collected by the Canadian government shows that cannabis legalisation is proceeding effectively.
- Aurora Cannabis Inc. says it has closed the sale of its Aurora Polaris facility for C$15m.
- Delta 9 has announced it is temporarily laying off about 40 employees amid cannabis industry struggles.
- New TnT strains expand HEXO’s top-selling portfolio and are crafted to create a fulsome sensory experience.
To complement the Global Cannabis Report: 3rd Edition, we have two premium packages available.
The first is Prohibition Partners’ proprietary market sizing data, which includes country-by-country forecasts of the medical, CBD and adult-use cannabis markets around the globe.
The second package is Prohibition Partners’ proprietary market sizing data, as well as a comprehensive collection of real world data, showing the growth in sales of cannabis globally.
LATAM & The Caribbean
- St George could allow Amsterdam-style cannabis coffee shops if the drug is legalised in Bermuda, says mayor.
- Taking stock of legal cannabis use, in Uruguay, 10 years after being the first country to legalise.
- Brazilian Governor Tarcísio must take a position on the release of cannabis-based drugs in the SUS.
- The Government of Colombia has included medical cannabis in the list of covered medications by health insurance.
- Zerenia signs contract with Capital Salud EPS, Colombia´s largest public insurance company, to provide medical cannabis.
- In New Zealand, Te Hiku Cannabis founders have created a roadmap to cannabis decriminalisation.
- Australia will get its first ever Medicinal Cannabis Awareness Week (MCAW) in February.
- Australia has seen a notable shift away from illicit cannabis use in favour of medically prescribed cannabis.
- Members of Queensland’s Labor party have called for the legalisation of recreational cannabis.
Africa & The Middle East
- Village Farms International, Inc. has announced further progress on its international cannabis strategy with Israel.
- Delta cannabis grower to eventually have production in all 2.2 million square feet of its greenhouse space.
- A class action for 420 million NIS has been submitted to court in Tel Aviv to return funds to medical cannabis patients.
- The owner of Promedis wants to fly to Thailand but promises: ‘We will return the money to the patients’.
- In Israel, Yair Biton, known by many from the Ronel Fisher affair, has entered the cannabis business with Bruno Stein.
on the global cannabis industry
International Cannabis Weekly newsletter brings you the most important developments, news and informed commentary on the global cannabis industry. Join our community of 80,000+ subscribers.