International Cannabis Weekly: 282
89,000 MEDICAL CANNABIS PRESCRIPTIONS IN THE UK – BUT ONLY 5 ON THE NHS
The legalisation of cannabis on prescription has failed to deliver access for all, say advocates, as new figures reveal the growing gap between private and NHS prescribing. New data has revealed the number of private and NHS cannabis prescriptions issued in England since the law change in November 2018.
According to figures released by NHS Business Service Authority (NHSBSA), a total of 89,239 prescriptions for unlicensed cannabis medicines were issued between November 2018 and July 2022.
ARIZONA’S ADULT-USE CANNABIS SALES REACHED A NEW HIGH IN OCTOBER 2022
LINNEA SA RECEIVES SWISS NARCOTICS LICENCE ALLOWING FOR HIGH-THC INGREDIENTS
- The French Council of State has formally lifted the ban on trading in industrial hemp flowers.
- Bedrocan Denmark will hire about forty employees and will be operational at the end of 2023.
- Ninety-one per cent of patients participating in a French medicinal cannabis trial are feeling positive.
- The Minister of Health in Luxembourg is to submit a cannabis legalisation proposal to the Chamber of Deputies in March.
- Kanabo launches two new high-THC vape formulas as it prepares to compete on ‘patient care’ in 2023.
- The United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD) has hosted a workshop on industrial hemp.
- The Scottish National Investment Bank has boosted its investment in a company that makes hemp fibre-based insulation.
- Google warms to CBD; Kardashian’s German ambitions; UN softens drugs stance; London firm looks to list in ‘Oz’.
- UK-based Hilltop Leaf aims to become a major producer of medicinal cannabis for the specialist prescription market.
- Ireland’s ‘Dangerously Confused’ Justice System Is Harming Europe’s Hemp And CBD Industry.
- Texas DPS’s Regulatory Services Division (RSD) has announced it is accepting new applications for dispensing organisations.
- Washington State Senate committee has approved a bill to set the state up to allow interstate cannabis commerce.
- Jushi Holdings opens fifth medical cannabis dispensary in Virginia; 37th retail location in the US.
- Minnesota medical cannabis patients concerned about the future of the state’s medicinal programme due to a new bill.
- Virginia lawmakers consider updating cannabis and hemp product laws in 2023 session.
- Jeanné Kapela, representative of the State of Hawaii, has announced a plan to legalise cannabis.
- Mendocino Clone Company has turned to blockchain technology for assistance in keeping track of plant traits and more.
- First cannabis retail store owned by a victim of the war on drugs to open in New York.
NYC SESSIONS RETURNS TO NEW YORK ON 23 FEBRUARY – EARLY BIRD TICKETS NOW AVAILABLE
Following on from last November’s hugely successful Business of Cannabis: New York conference, the first of this year’s NYC Sessions events is now confirmed for 23 February. NYC Sessions is an ongoing series to dive deep into the ongoing social, regulatory and business implications and opportunities in New York’s emerging cannabis industry.
This is an extremely limited capacity, intimate event with can’t-miss programming and important networking opportunities for those driving the sector forward in New York. Join us in the heart of the Big Apple for an intimate night of talks, networking, an open bar providing beer & wine all night, plus dedicated cannabis consumption lounge at the women-owned Work’N’Roll in Chelsea. Early Bird Tickets are priced at just $55.
- Only 4% of cannabis consumers in Canada obtain their cannabis from an illegal source.
- Cannabis giant SNDL finalises Valens acquisition becoming ‘a leader and trusted partner’ in Canadian cannabis space.
- Organigram Q1 revenue decreased 5% sequentially to C$43.3 million and maintained #3 position in Canada.
- Shiny Health & Wellness pleased to welcome the Ontario government’s new plan, announced on 16 January 2023.
- Southwestern Ontario’s premier cannabis conference returns to London, Ontario for a second year running.
- Benson & Hedges Inc. comments on the proposed ‘Regulations Amending the Tobacco Products Regulations’.
The quarterly revenues of the top 10 cannabis companies (by revenue) showed a steady increase from Q1 2021 to Q2 2022. In Q2 2022, just these top 10 companies saw a combined revenue of almost US$2 billion.
The Global Cannabis Report: 3rd Edition dives deeper into cannabis markets around the world, with expert analysis on market size, regulation, trends, supply chain, social issues – and more. As well as the free-to-download report, there are two exclusive additions available to purchase that provide unrivalled and invaluable insight into the global cannabis market.
LATAM & The Caribbean
- Dr Sandra Carrillo, of the Colombian Medical Cannabis Association, explains how attitudes are finally shifting.
- Santa Marta Golden Hemp S.A.S. completes first commercial export of feminised cannabis seeds from Colombia.
- Get to know the rules of the project for free access to cannabis-based medicines in São Paulo.
- Argentina’s Ministry of Science to invest more than $106 million in research and development for hemp and cannabis.
- Queensland firm Medibis has delayed plans to build a A$180m manufacturing facility, blaming tough market conditions.
- Thailand’s Ministry of Public Health has published a guide to ensure that tourists understand what is allowed.
- Members of Queensland’s Labor party have called for the legalisation of recreational cannabis.
- Australia will get its first ever Medicinal Cannabis Awareness Week (MCAW) in February.
Africa & The Middle East
- Israeli company BYND Cannasoft Enterprises files US provisional patent application and full-scale PCT application.
- Univo will be kept alive for another month; Kenbotek goes public at a discount and hopes to raise 7 million NIS.
- A class action for 420 million NIS has been submitted to court in Tel Aviv to return funds to medical cannabis patients.
- Tikun, the US affiliate of Israel’s pioneer in medical cannabis research, is restructuring its balance sheet.
on the global cannabis industry
International Cannabis Weekly newsletter brings you the most important developments, news and informed commentary on the global cannabis industry. Join our community of 80,000+ subscribers.