International Cannabis Weekly: 300
FOUR-YEAR MEDICINAL CANNABIS PILOT PROJECT PROPOSED BY ICELAND
A four-year pilot project, which would permit the use of cannabis for medicinal purposes in Iceland, has been proposed by policymakers.
Following a debate in Alþingi [Icelandic parliament] last week, officials have proposed a four-year pilot project to permit the use of medical cannabis, as well as the cultivation, production and distribution of cannabis-based products for medicinal use.
MINNESOTA TO BECOME 23RD US STATE TO LEGALISE ADULT-USE CANNABIS
CANNABIS SALES IN CANADA GENERATE C$1.5 BILLION IN TAX REVENUES IN 2021/22
- France becomes latest European country to regulate new semi-synthetic cannabinoid.
- UK’s Celadon Pharmaceuticals’ announces contract for commercial supply of its pharmaceutical-grade cannabis.
- Federal Office of Public Health grants permission for further cannabis pilot projects in Switzerland.
- Dutch research organisation Innexo BV partners with Fluence to support cannabis research.
- Ban on CBD sales in Czech Republic reversed after unexpected announcement earlier this month.
- Spain’s Minister of Health to present a report before the end of May to regulate the use of medical cannabis.
- Eleven German cities express interest in becoming model regions for cannabis experiments with retail sales.
- Berlin to host the International Cannabis Business Conference (ICBC) in June 2023.
From 150k digital impressions, to 70% senior level execs and over 10 countries represented; sponsoring Business of Cannabis: New York Sessions ensures you get in front of the key decision makers in cannabis markets across the globe.
Join Millennial Strategies in partnering with Business of Cannabis. Position your brand at the forefront of the North American cannabis market and get in front of the largest B2B audience in the global cannabis industry.
- US$11.6 million study investigates the potential risks and benefits of cannabis for those living with HIV.
- Nebraska advocates ramp up efforts to legalise medical cannabis with 2024 ballot campaign.
- New Hampshire House Committee initiates potential state-administered cannabis legalisation proposal.
- As part of its first quarter business results for 2023, Acreage announces a decline in revenue.
- Additional city in Ohio approves local cannabis decriminalisation initiative at the ballot.
- Warning raised by senator, federal officials, and consumer groups regarding provision in cannabis banking bill.
- In a revised statement, Canopy Growth Corp. diminishes its interest in Canopy USA.
- Governor of Rhode Island puts forward three nominations for cannabis regulatory board.
- Organigram announces plans to venture into the German market by providing supplies to Sanity Group.
- Uber Eats and Leafly collaborate to introduce cannabis delivery services to residents of British Columbia.
- Latest study shows no increase in problematic cannabis use after legalisation in Canada.
- The number of pregnant individuals in Ontario needing hospital care due to cannabis has doubled since 2018.
In the run-up to Cannabis Europa 2023, Prohibition Partners’ CEO Stephen Murphy caught up with Aras Azadian, Co-founder and CEO of Avicanna. Stephen and Aras discuss Avicanna’s landmark partnership with Canadian pharmacy giant Shoppers Drug Mart, alongside reviewing differences between the Canadian and European industries, patient access and affordability and what to look forward to in the emerging European market.
LATAM & The Caribbean
- CBD to be discussed by the Brazilian Chamber of Deputies for possible medicinal use.
- Argentina’s National Institute of Agricultural Technology (INTA) successfully cultivates Cannawine.
- International cannabis industry leaders gather at the 2nd CannabiSalud Congress in Cancun.
- Cannabis legalisation for adult use supported by Argentine presidential candidate.
- The first licence for the cultivation of medical cannabis in Costa Rica has been granted.
- Decriminalisation of possession of drugs for personal use back on agenda of the Federal Supreme Court (STF), in Brazil.
Since 2017, Prohibition Partners has published more than 30 industry-leading reports on emerging and established cannabis markets around the world. These reports provide reliable and credible data on commercial opportunities, market forecasts and the regulatory environment in key cannabis markets globally.
Many of our reports are free to download and additional paid-for data packages are available for enhanced insight and analysis.
Africa & The Middle East
- Israel’s MediCane Health announces that it will no longer be operating a growth strategy or any marketing activities.
- Patients in Israel to receive 40% financial reimbursement from insurance companies for medical cannabis.
- A definitive agreement has been signed by Atlas Global to acquire an Israeli pharmacy.
on the global cannabis industry
International Cannabis Weekly newsletter brings you the most important developments, news and informed commentary on the global cannabis industry. Join our community of 80,000+ subscribers.