Download our reports
The Cannabis Extraction Report
The emerging extraction industry is proving to be one of the most active areas of innovation and growth in the cannabis industry. The Extraction Report takes a detailed look at this rapidly-growing and diversifying industry, analysing methods of extraction, the types of extracts and extract-based products currently available, technology advances, supply chains, regulations in North America and Europe, and the current state of the market.
The Cannabis Extraction Report highlights how the extracts market is being driven by second-generation cannabis products in the adult-use markets, a shift away from flower in the medical markets, and the booming global CBD industry. It also details how extraction is becoming one of the most prominent verticals in the industry, demonstrating an on-going shift from vertically-integrated companies to specialist extractors in the supply chain.
Taking an in-depth look at the North American and European markets, and the regulations that currently govern extraction in these geographies, the Report elaborates on how the shift toward extract-based products heralds the arrival of major pharmaceutical and FMCG companies, whilst offering significant commercial opportunities.
The Cannabis Extraction Report examines:
- Due to the growing transition away from medical flowers and towards extracted products, Europe is expected to see an exponential increase in sales for medical extract-based finished products (without marketing authorisation), with sales expected to reach €1.5 billion (US$1.8 billion) by 2024.
- By 2025, sales of extract-based products in the Canadian adult-use market are expected to top US$1.2 billion, approximately 37% of the total adult-use market. From there, this proportion is predicted to grow, in line with surveyed consumer preferences.
The cannabis extraction industry is growing and diversifying at a rapid pace. This is necessary in order to keep up with the constantly evolving government regulations and consumer demands across the globe. As this occurs, innovation in methods and technologies are pushing the boundaries of what is expected from extraction processes in terms of efficiency, precision and pricing. Cannabis and hemp products are increasingly becoming commoditised, which is fuelling the development of diverse forms of extracts for products such as vapes, oils and edibles.
At the early stages of the market, extraction facilities for cannabis were primarily operated by vertically integrated cannabis companies. However, as the industry has developed over the years, there has been an increase in specialist extractors who use their expertise to develop new techniques and methods to produce extracts for specific sectors. The supply chain is now more diverse than ever.
The methods of cannabis extraction are continuously developing with companies seeking various ways to target specific compounds while focusing on cost efficient, safe and scalable extraction methods to stay competitive in the market.
The North American extraction markets are the most mature markets today; however, Europe is witnessing growth as supply chains are becoming more robust and extract demand is on the rise. Both markets still hold a set of significant challenges and barriers to entry in terms of; regulation, distribution channels, capital costs, access to capital and a lack of expertise.
- Stages of Extraction
- Types of Extracts
- Certifications in Cannabis Extraction
- Methods of Extraction
- Supply Chain
- Current State of the Market
- Expert Interviews
- Expert Interviews from Emerging Markets
Methods of Extraction
- Alcohol Extraction
- Hydrocarbon Extraction
- Supercritical CO₂ Extraction
- Hydrodynamic Extraction
- Industrial Scale Centrifugal Partition Chromatography
- Rosin Press
- Ultrasound Assisted Extraction
- Enzyme Assisted Extraction (EAE)
Types of Extracts
- Medical and pharmaceutical products
- Growth of adult-use and medical extracts
Type of Extractors
- Large Extraction Specialists
- Mid-Small Scale Extractors
- Vertically Integrated Companies
- Specialised API Producers
- Industrial Extractors (Non-Cannabis Specialists)
- Canadian Regulatory Framework
- US Regulatory Framework
- Adult-Use and Medical
- US CBD Regulations
- European Regulations – Medical Cannabis
- European Regulations – CBD
- European Cannabis Extraction Market
- North American Cannabis Extraction Market
- United States
- United Kingdom