Download our reports
The Latin America and Caribbean Cannabis Report: Second Edition
Cannabis has been present in Latin American countries for centuries. The Latin America and Caribbean Cannabis Report investigates pioneering legalisation from Colombia and Uruguay, joined in some degree by Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Ecuador, Paraguay, Peru, Jamaica, Trinidad and Tobago, and St Kitts. They are all following the path of decriminalisation and with many taking steps towards full legalisation.
There are high hopes for this region, with unmatched cost-benefit possibilities, a strategic location and an internal market that could lead to high demand from a population expected to surpass the 700 million mark during the current decade. LAC also benefits from low-cost labour and construction costs, meaning that the overall cost of production can be up to 80% lower than that of North America.
Growing cannabis in LAC is therefore a high-yield and high-margin package, and the region is fast recognising its own potential to become a major player in the hemp and cannabis industry worldwide. Our deep-dive into this area investigates the reasons behind the regions newly developed growth analysing legislation, production, innovation, the market and much more.
The Latin America and Caribbean Cannabis Report: Second Edition examines:
- Total trade between Latin American countries and China has increased from US$17 billion in 2002 to over US$315 billion in 2019.
- A gram of cannabis bud is worth between US$0.5 and US$0.8 in Colombia, whereas in Canada the same amount can cost US$2.14.
- The LAC cannabis industry, has an estimated market value 2020: US$168 million which looks set to grow to US$824 million by 2024.
- Breakdown of key regional facts
- Geographical overview of legislation
Background and state of the art
- History of cannabis in Latin American countries: A glance into its roots
- 2013 – 2018: Years of openness and global positioning
- 2019: Some development, big reality check
- In terms of legislation
- In terms of companies
- 2020: COVID-19, EU-GMP and a consolidation trend
- 2021: Progress and local demand
Hemp, sustainability, genetics and recreational cannabis
- Key figures
- The 17 sustainable development goals
- Increase in ethical consumerism searches in LAC countries in 2020
- Expert interview
- Genetics, seeds and intellectual property
- Country by country updates
Market size and forecast
- Total market value
- Medicinal market value
- Recreational market value
- CBD market value
- Expert interview
- Some key companies in LAC market in 2020
- Regional trading blocs